IB TWS security token asked after disconnection

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by travis, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Same here.

It's obviously just something IB did in their latest update.

Probably something like shortening the time in which TWS tolerates loss of "heartbeat" connection to IB servers.
    Should be very simple to fix.

And sure this may be an issue that's due to some service providers not supplying data streams that are 100% stable.
    But is it IB policy to cut off all customers that for some reason don't have access to 100% stable lines?

#41     Feb 24, 2012
  2. Catoosa

Catoosa

IB has their software development team "all over" this "unexpected popup challenge box" disconnection problem. I think IB will have this problem fixed before the markets open next week.

#42     Feb 24, 2012
  3. travis

travis

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know. I would then re-enable the Secure Login System.

#43     Feb 24, 2012
  4. thanks JamesL, I read through all the posts,but this would be perfect for me, to be able to log on to TWS without the token, and then be required if I go to account administration. I have tws problems and had to reload it so will be spending all weekend setting up my screen anyway, so why I'm at it, I'm going to look for the opt out option. I hate that card, especially since I trade at night under candlelight and my eysight isnn't so good any more. (there's very little difference between a 5 and an s and a 2 and a z. Plus, I always keep my card either in my wallet or next to my computer, I foget which, but it is usally in the other place.)

where do I go to opt out?

#44     Feb 24, 2012
  5. all right! I did it and I wish I would have known you could do that earlier. I'm not worried about someone making trades in my account. It's hard to loose money if you are trying, so I doubt no matter what they did they couldn't lose that much. Also, It is kind of nice to require the card when you are moving money to the bank.

#45     Feb 24, 2012
  6. We all knew that we could disable the challenge: that's the whole point of this thread. Makes no sense, in my opinion, to have to opt out, because of inappropriate design.

Emergency procedure are good to have, but correct the bugs and the nonsense in the first place, please.

It's 5 mins correction for 1 guy: i hope a whole team of skilled programmers will be able to fix it in even less than that :)

(And, in case, in the few minutes that remain, what about taking a look at the couple other things we have been asking now thousands times and that would help the automated army, including the API message error bug, etc)

T

#46     Feb 24, 2012
  7. Don't think about people just trying to harm your account.

It is more about people that try to get access to some account in order to use it for their own agenda.
    For example they might:
    1. Buy a significant amount of some penny stock with their own account.
    2. Use your account to pump the price up (go all in).
    3. Dump their stock into the price that's now much higher.
    (Pretty much like hackers using bot nets.)

I remember having read about such practices being carried out in reality not just as a theoretical possibility.
    They led to increasing security measures by IB (i.e. token device).

#47     Feb 25, 2012
  8. kostia00

kostia00 Interactive Brokers

Thank you Catoosa and JackR for providing us with the details of the probem! The issue should be now fixed; if you see this happening again please PM me.

#48     Feb 27, 2012
  9. travis

travis

Thanks to IB representatives and to kostia00 in particular, for caring about the posts in this thread and for solving the problem. Considering the quantity of threads complaining about this problem (cfr. links provided in previous posts), it is a very important improvement.

I can't wait to re-enable the Security Login System on my TWS (and the other IB trading platforms), and will do so after the end of today's session. It was really painful to be forced to disable it just to have my automated trading continue.

#49     Feb 27, 2012
  10. <b>VERY GOOD JOB kostia00 !!

THANKS A LOT</b>

Tom

PS
    Now, if you also address the couple issues we also indicated you will deserve A+ new reviews !!

#50     Feb 27, 2012