IB TWS security token asked after disconnection

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by travis, Feb 22, 2012.

1. JamesL

JamesL

This is what I suggested that you ragged on me for.

#11     Feb 22, 2012
  2. toho

toho

Well, this issue started to happen to a lot of people after the recent forced TWS upgrade. There was a thread recently at the TWSAPI group.

Personally, I have never had this problem prior to the last TWS upgrade, except for a short while when the security device was really new.

It is definately related to Internet connection issues, but it seems to be quite subtle. I have tried to recreate the problem by creating disconnects of varying duration, changing IP address etc., but with no luck so far.

#12     Feb 22, 2012
  3. I think the important point is that it can be minimized or negated by IB in their software with a change in how and when it asks for the token and building in some kind of tolerance for network issues. The software doesn't seem to be able to distinguish a temporary network issue versus when someone has logged off TWS completely. Unless IB can share the thresholds of how long a network disconnect must be we are just left guessing when this issue will occur.

Also, if more folks have noticed this since a forced upgrade there is definitely something that can be changed back since this seems to be worse than it was before.

It is not reasonable to ask traders to disable the tokens if there is something that can be addressed in the software. IB's response is not an adequate solution or workaround. Many people are using ISPs with dynamic IP addresses so I would like to hear how IB supposes we deal with that. Should we have to manually change an IP filter each time our IP address changes? Also, the IP address restriction is only for local network connectivity as far as I know so this would offer little or no protection from the outside.

#13     Feb 22, 2012
  4. travis

travis

Oh, sorry about that. Thanks for the advice.

#14     Feb 22, 2012
  5. zdreg

zdreg

"I am thinking about it, and weighing the advantages and disadvantages. At least now my option is not as bad as disabling the security token for everything. I wish that agreement said that I still get compensated if someone gets into my account, but instead it doesn't specify it.:" from travis

show some responsibility for your actions. if somebody gets into your acc't it might be due to actions on your own part. there is a whining underlying your posts on this thread. if you took proper precautions in the 1st place u might not need a token. if it gives you peace of mind fine, but peace of mind always comes with a price. disabling the token, even with restrictions is quite suitable for many traders, who have many reasons for not wanting it in the 1st place.

IB seems to understand that 1 shoe size does not fit everybody, which is a very good quality for a company to have.

#15     Feb 22, 2012
  6. travis

travis

Thanks for the information. I found the threads you mention, and they have many posts with useful information on this problem:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TWSAPI/message/25638

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TWSAPI/message/25555
    (very good info on this one)

My conclusion is the same as yours: it is related to the latest version we all installed in January. So it is indeed a change they made in the software (that acts when it detects specific types of disconnection), and not just that we all suddenly experience connection problems or problems related to the (US CT) midnight servers update.

By the way, to answer TD80's question, I checked my build, and it's 920.5.

#16     Feb 22, 2012
  7. travis

travis

Yes, I totally agree, especially with this sentence: "It is not reasonable to ask traders to disable the tokens if there is something that can be addressed in the software".

Furthermore, in case you're really desperate, because they don't make those software changes and leave you no choice, then, when you're clicking that waiver on the page to disable your token from just trading platforms, the waiver should not be the same as for people opting out completely, which is "IB will not compensate...". There should be two different waivers: one for people disabling the token for everything, and another one for people disabling the token for trading platforms - and merely because otherwise they cannot do automated trading.

#17     Feb 22, 2012
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

travis,

Who is your internet service provider? Mine is comcast.

I installed these TWS updates on the following dates:

920.5 11/13/11
    921.4 11/22/11
    922.6 01/07/12
    923.6 02/03/12

My token request problem began right after one of my updates to 920.5, 921.4, or 922.6. Because you are having the problem with TWS 920.5, I think it is most likely my login problem began right after my update to 920.5.

#18     Feb 22, 2012
  9. Eight

Eight

get a whitelisting firewall and allow only IB in or out. Maybe use a static IP and only allow connection to your account from it. Use SSL no matter what..

It's possible to build a computer, validate the OS with Microsoft over the phone, and set into action behind a whitelisted firewall and never, for the entire life of the computer, have it connect to any other site than IB's.. I found that whitelisted computers don't need any upgrades at all, they run far better than computers that are used for surfing..

#19     Feb 22, 2012
  10. travis

travis

Great information from Eight. Thanks.

To Catoosa: I am running two connections (one takes over if the first one fails - and this event might cause the token prompt in my case) from central US and I think one of them is a subdivision of comcast (I am not that good with networking and a friend is doing it for me). What you say about the TWS builds makes sense: it has to be related to 920.5. I never do updates unless they force me to (because each time there's some useless changes), so the problem definitely happened after the last update (which I did in January, more or less) and therefore it is 920.5. Now of course I'll do another update, in a few minutes, just to make sure the problem hasn't been fixed or improved.

#20     Feb 22, 2012