IB TWS reconnect after router IP change?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by etherboy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. etherboy

etherboy

Maybe it's my DD-WRT router is not doing it's job?

Actually TWS sometimes went all purple and will come back after a few seconds, but not every time.

It's really annoying because the only way to make sure it's connected to IB is to sit in front of the PC all the time.

I even used TWSStart but not helping.

#11     Feb 14, 2011
  2. etherboy

etherboy

I intentionally reboot the router and get a new IP.

The TWS data connection is then lost forever, no matter how many times I pressed CTRL-ALT-R.

======================
    This is not funny.

I reboot the router 2nd time intentionally and this time TWS reconnect automatically!

There is just no pattern here.

I guess I'll chat with IB tech support tomorrow.

#12     Feb 14, 2011
  3. dont

dont

I have terrible internet connectivity I use two adsl lines with a 3G modem going through a mushroom portabella gateway. Which means I have three IP addresses. If all three go down I have linked IB connection lost to an audio file that says connection lost. You can configure that in the TWS. That way I don't need to look to see if connection up or down. But IB works fine I have even left the TWS running and then switched the switch running the network on/off and when the internet lights up TWS says connection restored.

I would say its something on your end its not the TWS.

#13     Feb 14, 2011
  4. J.P.

J.P.

I noticed a similar problem.

I have a dual-WAN router with cable and DSL. When I unhook the cable, TWS' data stop updating and it shows the magenta grid for about 20 seconds. Then the DSL takes over and all is well. When I put the cable back and disconnect the DSL line I again get the magenta grid, then the cable automatically takes over and TWS is fine again; everything works as it should.

However, on two recent occasions when I've been away from my machine in the middle of the trading day, I've come back to see all of TWS' data cells with "?" instead of data and no magenta grid while my Internet connection is up and running fine. After manually restarting TWS everything goes back to normal.

The most frustrating part right now is not being able to duplicate the problem.

#14     Feb 14, 2011