IB TWS reacting slowly

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by onefocus, Oct 8, 2009.

1. when you run alot of charts in ib it bogs down. I had this exact same problem. I have decent computer too. Quad core with 2gbs of ram.

I've worked around this by using quotetracker and td amertrade feed. You can also use quotetracker with ib but i think itll cost u some money then also the volume is off last time i checked.

#21     Oct 14, 2009
  2. onefocus

onefocus

OK....sounds like I may go that route at some point.

#22     Oct 14, 2009
  3. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

TWS 899 includes a chart enhancement which should greatly reduce the load on the CPU, even when multiple charts are open.

#23     Oct 15, 2009
  4. onefocus

onefocus

Thanks DAV. Maybe I'll upgrade.

It is clearly an issue with how many windows are NOT minimized. Even if they are not visible (i.e.-behind each other), if they are not minimized, they increase the load. My solution is to flip through my charts as I need them. So everything is minimized except for 2 multicharts (each with 4 subcharts). This places a minimal load and the system works well. Frankly with two 20" monitors filled with the 2 multicharts (i.e.-8 individual charts, 2x4), I can't see more anyway. Then I just bring up other windows as I need but make certain to minimize them when not being viewed. I have a total of 21 TWS windows created, 14 of which are the multicharts (with 4 charts each) and I experience no slowdown.....unless more than 2 or 3 chart windows are not minimized.

The only problem I see is if I were to expand to say 3 or 4 monitors, then the CPU load, in theory, would be way too high. But that's not the situation, so no worries now!

I'll try build 899 and see what happens. Again, by minimizing windows not being viewed, instead of leaving them "up in the background", the system works fine but it's inconvenient at times too have to remember to minimize the window(s).

#24     Oct 15, 2009
  5. Catoosa

Catoosa

onefocus:

It would be helpful if you could post your findings are when you upgrade to TWS 899.

#25     Oct 16, 2009
  6. onefocus

onefocus

Sure. TWS 899 is currently browser based only right now and I prefer using the standalone version. As soon as it becomes available (soon I would think) I will test it a bit and post what I find.

#26     Oct 16, 2009