IB TWS reacting slowly

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by onefocus, Oct 8, 2009.

1. onefocus

onefocus

Catoosa,

If you don't mind, what charting package do you use?

#11     Oct 13, 2009
  2. Catoosa

Catoosa

onefocus:

I have sent you a private message.

#12     Oct 13, 2009
  3. onefocus

onefocus

I've tried using the multichart function (multiple charts in one chart window) and single chart windows. Basically it comes down to the number of windows not minimized. If the windows are all minimized, the CPU usage drops to almost nothing. As you "Restore" windows, processor usage creeps higher and higher. Ultimately this saps too much computer power and overall system performance degrades (including of course TWS). I've even tried switching the futures charts to "Midpoint" instead of "Trades", but no luck.

Shame if they can't figure out what is causing this and resolve it. What's the point of having numerous charts and multiple monitors if you can't bring them up and view them simultaneously.

Other than this issue, TWS works well for me (feature wise).

#13     Oct 14, 2009
  4. onefocus

onefocus

Well, experimented some more. It seems that with single chart windows, even restored, CPU usage is reasonable while memory load is higher (34 total TWS windows, 28 of them charts, all Restored, puts memory load by javaw.exe at about 960K). But the combination works since CPU load is generally lower, though it bounces up and down. It also seems that Restoring windows that were Minimized causes delays but having those windows Restored all of the time (even behind other windows) doesn't cause a problem.

Not sure what it all means, but at least I'm getting something to work for now.

#14     Oct 14, 2009
  5. onefocus

onefocus

Another update...

With 13 total TWS windows (7 multi-chart windows (with 4 each for a total of 28 charts) and 6 other windows), memory load (with all windows Restored is about 300K and CPU usage bounces high and low but is not interfering with PC usage and not causing noticable delays in TWS.

The only thing I have noticed which may be a problem is if you select "Show x bars" in the "Time Parameters Panel". Seems that a number of about 180 causes delays. Not certain though. Deselecting that in all charts seems to result in better performance.

#15     Oct 14, 2009
  6. Catoosa

Catoosa

What is the size and number of monitors you are using? Your high CPU usage may be due to the large number of java based charts you are running within TWS. I think 28 java based chart windows would put a significant load on most any CPU. However, I would expect the same chart layout on many of the non java based charting programs would require only a fourth of the CPU usage.

#16     Oct 14, 2009
  7. onefocus

onefocus

I'm using two 20" widescreen monitors. I know it sounds like many charts but I'll explain a bit more. I have settings with 3 Futures contracts and a multi-chart on each, each chart has 4 subcharts (a Daily, 60m, 30m, 15m). In the same settings I have 4 FX charts each of which has 4 subcharts (again a Daily, 60m, 30m, 15m). I also have open an FX Trader (4 pairs, same as charts mentioned above), an Option Trader (with 1 ticker, 2 expirys, 3 strikes), a Trades window and an Account window. That totals 8 tickers (4 FX, 3 Futures, 1 Stock (in the option window). I don't think that's too much. But maybe it is since javaw.exe runs high loads with the windows "up". If I minimize, it reacts better and with everything minimized, load (CPU and Memory) drops to almost nothing.

The other settings are very similar except that instead of a multichart I have set each Daily, 60m, 30m 15m by themselves (so (4x4=16) + (3x4=12)=28 total charts....same as multicharts).

You are probably right about it being a java limitation. I do like TWS for the most part, especially the "Share Trendlines Among Charts" feature (so if I make a trendline on an ES chart on the daily, it shows up on all my other intraday charts). Is that a feature on your charting package or any other that you are aware of?

Thanks for your input on the Catoosa.

#17     Oct 14, 2009
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

onefocus:

I have sent you another private message.

#18     Oct 14, 2009
  9. It is a feature of Sierra Chart (more specific that what you describe but flexible).

#19     Oct 14, 2009
  10. onefocus

onefocus

Thanks Kiwi....I'll check them out.

#20     Oct 14, 2009