IB TWS Problems

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by laocoon, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I experienced it twice during the HSI afternoon session yesterday. Hong Kong IB servers. I have never had it before. IB, if it was testing or maintenance can you please do it outside of market hours?

#11     Jul 18, 2005
  2. The_End

The_End

-OT-

Is it possible to display the Opening prices in the TWS layout?

TIA

#12     Jul 18, 2005
  3. joesan

joesan

My IB connection with my primary ISP has been terrible since early July. I understand this may be just an ISP problem so I switched ISP from this monday, so far so good. ( refer to another thread " IB Hong Kong server" ) But yesterday afternoon with this second ISP I still experienced about 20 minutes of market data outdage. At first I doubted it was the second ISP problem, but later IB issued a bulletin in TWS saying that they were testing sth and the market data should be available to all clients from then on.

It was ok from then on.

#13     Jul 19, 2005
  4. mokwit

mokwit

As it seems that "SOME" users experience data outages and also I gather problems with API/Market depth, perhaps IB can tell us what makes some of us the"SOME" who have these problems as opposed to the others who I assume don't. Answer please.

Perhaps IB can also update us on progress with problems reported by multiple users on this board and which IB are clearly aware of e.g.

1) Blowing through stops problem - ANYTHING DONE ABOUT THIS?

2) Slow Market orders - e.g several seconds to fill (with 60 contracts visible on the offer) - ANYTHING DONE ABOUT THIS?

3) Loss of market depth that started to be a problem with an upgrade of TWS - ANYTHING DONE ABOUT THIS?

#14     Jul 19, 2005
  5. Hi all,

I hate to repeat myself, but what appears crystal clear is that this mass of problems was basically unknown before the time IB introduced the crowd pleasing charting & crummy backfill gimmicks a couple of months ago. It is obvious that this NON-BROKERAGE related pixie-stuff requires a lot of additional resourses (bandwith, servers, ...).

I kind of observed that most freezing incidents seem to occur around 1:30PM EST when the pixie-stuff loving crowd starts playing again.

I must say that for the last 2 of weeks I didn't experience ' freezing'. Others seem to have. I noticed this in the past that such recurring incidents seem to happen in non-global areas.

Please IB, throw out the pixie-dust and do something so that those many old-time custumers don't have to keep on crying. We know could do well it in the past.

#15     Jul 19, 2005
  6. joesan

joesan

#16     Jul 19, 2005
  7. There is a lot of speculation here as to what might or might not be the cause of outages of IB service. Most of the time, I doubt that it's got much to do with TWS itself - charts or otherwise or with backfill. Probably server side software/hardware faults, operational errors, datacom issues, connectivity to exchanges, exchange problems etc stc.

However the point is that it's all speculation. I think IB should institute some better error reporting procedures to keep their customers better informed. This should include description/ brief explanation of the problem and estimate of time to fix. Some ISPs do this and it is a good thing. The TWS bulletins are a bit shoddy and sometimes don't appear at all. Perhaps a link on a bulletin to a web page with further info would be a good idea. All outages should be reported to customers, even ones of only a couple of minutes duration.

I'm sure this would benefit IB as well as it's customers, and reduce the amount of speculation and poor publicity for IB on ET and other message boards.

#17     Jul 19, 2005
    #18     Jul 19, 2005
  9. IB did it again.
    1:07PM EST new kind of freeze: most ticker lines black.
    New TWS restart necessary.
    Switched to build 848.8. In spite of the added Mickey Mouse stuff, basic operation flaws still there. IB really knows how to screw things up. Never happened before they started 'innovating' about 3 months ago.
    Give us back the ' old ugly TWS'. At least it worked as it should.

#19     Jul 22, 2005
  10. laocoon

laocoon

IB TWS disconnects every 3-4 minutes since 1125 AM (CET) this morning, anyone else having similar problems?

#20     Aug 2, 2005