IB TWS problem

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by inandlong, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Very interesting. Out of curiosity I just checked my Market Data Subscriptions and there's not even an option for Globex on mine either. Child-proof, eh? :eek:

#11     Sep 29, 2002
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

inandlong,

Instead of looking at Account Type try clicking Trading Permissions and make sure The US Futures is checked. Even if the box has gray in it there should still be a check-mark there.

#12     Sep 29, 2002
  3. Thanks guys. My page looks like yours Andy except for the GLOBEX line $10 etc.

Magna the US Futures box is checked like you suggested.

It makes feel better that Magna doesn't have the GLOBEX option to check either. Maybe I'm not such a loser. Maybe everything will be okay.

I did receive a PM saying that IB software gets wacky over the weekend sometimes and to wait until Monday and try again. Seems like good advice.

Thanks for you thoughts guys. I appreciate it.

:)

#13     Sep 29, 2002
  4. right, authorized for futures does not subscribe you to cme.
    1.subscribe to cme
    2. use symbol es
    3. follow menue down...future...december

never used bracket trader, but some of those third party jobs get confused if you enter on 3rd party and cancel on tws.

trailing stops now avaiable straight through tws, so not much point in 3rd party anymore

1. place limit exit order
    2. place enter with trailing stop
    and you basically have a bracket trade without using any other api

you sure you want to use trailing stops, right? man, they make you a lot of money once in a while, and they keep your losses a little smaller, but they sure do guarantee that no matter what, you will always leave the value of the stop on the table.

I figure, if I'm smart enough to get in this winning trade, I ought to be smart enough to get out of it. (and about 50% of the time I am.)

#14     Sep 29, 2002
  5. Thanks profitseer. I was going to set up and try the Quah trade method. I followed it real time before I went on vacaton and it did well. The results last week were consistent as before. So I was using Bracket to preset the stoploss and profit target entries.

And as I look right now at the Market Data Subscriptions page there is no Globex, no CME. I promise!

#15     Sep 29, 2002
  6. def

def Sponsor

inandlong,
    couple of things. it is possible that you sent an order to globex while globex was closed (just guessing by the time of your post)? in any event, why speculate what your situation is on a message board. you are using third party software to enter into the TWS. any number of things could go wrong. the easiest thing to do is log onto the ibchat. they can check your permissions and trace your order.

one more thing: the commodities bundle includes globex. thus you are subscribed to globex. to make sure, add ES to your TWS. then choose DEC 2002. If you see prices, you have access.

#16     Sep 29, 2002
  7. Found it! Ah yes and there is always a logical reason. I created a new page and called it , oddly enough, "Futures".

I entered ES on that page and viola, c'est ici. So I went back to the chat help on IB and the guy said I probably have "Quick Stock Entry" checked on the other page and so it takes stocks only. Which I do. Problem solved.

Ce n'est pas tres difficile, vraiment! Je ne suis pas une idiot, presque je suis une newbie avec IB. C'est la vie!

Hey, don't be gettin' no ideas like I'm bi or nuttin' like that. I didn't see yous bunch of geniuses figurin' this thing out for cryin' out loud.

Is there a serious bone in my body? Not really. Only under duress.

#17     Sep 29, 2002
  8. "Globex USD 10.00 (Waived if monthly commissions > USD 30.00) "

This line is sort of a tiny bug in IB´s system (IMHO).

#18     Sep 30, 2002
  9. def

def Sponsor

Here's the line from one of my accounts:

Professional US Commodities Exchanges USD 10.00 (Waived if monthly commissions > USD 30.00)

I assume you are saying it is a bug since it doesn't include A/C/E which is free at this time. I'll see if I can get the wording changed.

#19     Sep 30, 2002