IB TWS - pre-existing ES buy stop not executed in a rising market... any insights?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by late apex, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Good point-

Here is a warning for those using IB front ends.

Even if you have 'trigger after hours' checked in TWS, if your stop was submitted via the TWS API and the 3rd party application does not set a property (programatically) to ensure that this order will be triggered after hours, the stop will STILL not trigger after hours.

Check with your IB front end provider to make sure that they have the correct setting if you want stops to trigger after hours.

#21     Apr 8, 2004
  2. First I would like to correct your "mis-impression"....I have had a few problems with IB....primarily disconnects. But they have been few and far between....and therefore, I am quite pleased with IB.

Never have I had a problem with IB in terms of there stops. That is not to say that someone did not...but I did not. As I said in my post, many times when various issues come up, the problem has to do with incorrectly using the TWS. In this particular case, this may be the problem if Apex did not have the box checked which allows the triggering of a stock after regular market hours (see my post and Backwards post).

I know you seem to have chronic problems with just about everything according to your frequent posts whining about IB. Maybe it's time to get a reliable internet connection and upgrade your computer if you have the dough.

OldTrader
    Umemployed for at least 30 years.

#22     Apr 8, 2004
  3. damir00

damir00 Guest

am i the only one who got the intraday "problem with stops" bulletin from IB? personally i've never had a problem and i use stop-entries all the time - but *anything* simulated is prone to breaking from time to time.

'course, once the exchanges provide for native orders and da Boyz can see our plans, we'll have an entirely different set of problems to bitch about. :)

#23     Apr 8, 2004
  4. alanm

alanm

late apex: Did you, or did you not have the "after hours" box checked?

#24     Apr 8, 2004
  5. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

The order in question (i.e. the one that started this thread) did not have the "trigger outside RTH" flag checked.

#25     Apr 8, 2004
  6. I am back... Glad to report that, with the help of both this thread and an anonymous IB person, my case has apparently been solved. Backwardation, alanm and others -- I did not have that box checked last Friday. The "Allow triggering outside of regular trading hours" (RTH) box under Configuration - Orders menu.

And you know what -- that was a deliberate, seemingly rational choice on my part, while systematically going through all the TWS menus and options last month, while the TWS User's Guide was opened on another screen. Rationale: I never trade any security "OORTH" for that security. In other words, I interpreted that option -- incorrectly, as it now turns out -- that the "regular trading hours" are security-dependent. How else could one conceivably define "regular trading hours" for what is, after all, a global, "Universal" account?...

Simply put, since IB's clients trade stocks, futures, currencies, etc., in N. America, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc., not sure I understand any relevance of the NYSE regular trading hours to... well, to anything whatsoever other than trading in NYSE-listed securites.

Interestingly, just searched the TWS User's Guide again. The phrase "regular trading hours" appears in it 8 times, but is not defined anywhere. Seems to me IB could save themselves some headaches by including a simple definition there.

Better yet, why not revise that Config - Orders menu item itself to read "Allow triggering outside of regular NYSE trading hours"? (If that's what it is.)

In any case, I'll keep that box checked for now. Good / cheap lesson learned. My immediate takeaways from this thread are:

1. Create Audit Trail -- great idea... done. (Thanks, Bernd.) In fact, should come in handy not just in case of trouble, but every day. I routinely adjust my exits as part of managing the trade (as, I'm sure, many here do)... the ability to review as part of the end-of-day analysis exactly when I put each adjustment through, will be nice to have.

2 Taking a screenshot of TWS at a key moment -- another good idea. Will do. Incidentally, that might also work well for keeping tracking of my exit adjustments, conveniently time-stamped with the TWS clock.

3. Now that I've used TWS for a while and am fairly comfortable with it, I will revisit the TWS User's Guide and re-check every "suspicious" menu option. This time will attempt not to take anything for granted / read between the lines...

And, yes, I remain a fan of IB/TWS, certainly when it comes to speed / power / adaptability of the interface. Now, about those server-resident stop simulations...

Really appreciate everyone's contributions.

late apex

#26     Apr 8, 2004
  7. #1 My ISP is reliable. I have not had problems with IB since I
    dedicated a computer solely to TWS/NinjaTrader. It's been months
    since I had my last prob with IB. So much for whining...

#2 Others here at ET have had problems with IB and you always
    step out and defend IB like IB is your wife.

#3 I have new computers. They have not been the source of any
    of my problems that I had previously with IB.

#4 Having dough is not one of my problems. I come from a very
    wealthy family. Silver spoon in my mouth. Tastes good.

#5 I trade for fun. I don't need it for money. But I am greedy.

#6 I demand excellence... :cool:

#27     Apr 9, 2004
  8. Glad to hear your whining days are over.

And it is true....I do step out on IB's behalf at times. Maybe it helps to offset some of the whining that goes on. There are numerous times when IB has been accused of something when it was a result of trader error, not reading the information, etc etc.

Again, I have had a few disconnects over the last several years, generally brief. Nothing that concerns me. This is offset by low commissions, a wide variety of possible products to trade worldwide quickly and efficiently. Frankly, I don't think people realize just how good IB is. And the Universal account is excellent from the standpoint of risk reduction from uninsured commodity accounts. Hard to understate that one.

Let's just say I'm a very happy customer, and I get tired of hearing the chronic complainers. And again, it's amazing how many times the complaint turns out to be something that resulted from trader error, or not reading IB information.

OldTrader

#28     Apr 9, 2004