IB TWS Old Version Available

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Oct 27, 2010.

1. LeeD

LeeD

Does clicking twice on the TWS icon on the taskbar (as an alternative way to minimize/restore window) solve the problem?

IMHO, it's a problem with remote desktop, not TWS.

#61     Dec 1, 2010
  2. OK but when I log back in normally (not remote desktop) the frame is still gone. Yes I can work around it, just annoying. No workaround for the scroll bar though.

#62     Dec 1, 2010
  3. rsi80

rsi80

Perhaps IB's programming team would be good enough to study and APPLY these interface design guidelines?

http://www.ambysoft.com/essays/userInterfaceDesign.html

For instance, arguably, they haven't observed tip #1 "Consistency, consistency, consistency" and tip #15 "Your design should be intuitable" for a very long time.

#63     Dec 2, 2010
  4. This has been an issue for awhile even with versions below 906. I noticed this also and they only solution is to restart TWS. It is annoying I agree. I think it is definitely the remote desktop software that is responsible this and not TWS.

#64     Dec 2, 2010
  5. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

The upgrade is mandatory for the IB gateway too.

#65     Dec 2, 2010
  6. That is an absolute lie LeeD! At logon if your version is older than 12 months you are not allowed to logon and their system shuts you down. THEY DO FORCE UPGRADES!!

--- i asked ---
    "where's the link to the 6 month old software???
    TWS shut itself down AGAIN!!!....................

--- they replied ---
    Mr ---,
    .... There cannot be a rollback, and there cannot be an exception to this.

Interactive Brokers Technical Support
    -----
    Who are these guys? Dark Varder?"there cannot be an exception to this." C' please!

#66     Dec 7, 2010
  7. They DO NOT listen to intelligent customers who want a stable trading platform or who ask an intelligent question directly to their IT staff. The voting system you talk about is absolute garbage and has nothing to do with this thread about forced upgrades.

I use ninja for my charts because IB is so crappy. So all I need from IB is a very small scaled down STABLE version of TWS that will be able to take an order and run the API to Ninja. That's it.

(Go ahead scultpor you spend your time putting that on their voting site for no results... :D )

I am not paid to go to their website and post ideas for some newbie trader to "vote" on. I AM NOT AN UNPAID CONSULTANT. I AM NOT AN UNPAID BETA TESTER.

They want me to stand on my head tap my toes twice and beg humbly -... But still nothing..

Every time you report a bug they give you the sunshine treatment...
    "reinstall this.
    go to the new version that..
    perhaps your setting files are corrupted.."
    blah, blah, blah...

I have been around computers and programming way to long for this garbage ..

When I get enough money I'm switching..

#67     Dec 7, 2010
  8. rdg

rdg

Seriously, WTF? Hi, I'm a chart. When I'm zoomed in, I don't recenter when a contract runs through the high. You can add horizontal space to me, but then you can't zoom. Sometimes when you zoom in, I switch from 1 minute to 2 minute.

Oh, there's an option to change that. It's buried in a menu that 100 levels deep and changes with every release. Maybe you just don't see it because 80% of the options are hidden to keep you from getting confused.

And I love how the z-order of all the open screens changes now. Focus changes, a book trader that was behind another is suddenly in front. WTF happened to ES? Oh, that's not ES, it's SI.

#68     Dec 9, 2010
  9. LeeD

LeeD

"IB Gateway" (which installs with any recent TWS upgrade) is exactly what you want. It provides all the TWS API execept fr newsfeed (for which most TWS users don't subscribe anyway) and has none of the TWS flab - only pure API.

If you are unhappy about "bloated" TWS, maybe you should ask NinjaTrader to support "IB Gateway". Given it's 99% compatible with TWS, it should be easy... as long as additionla testing is justified by the number of interested customers.

#69     Dec 9, 2010
  10. What is a stable version with java 26? I have problems with 918 and 917 locking up when feeding data to multicharts.

#70     Jul 5, 2011