IB TWS Old Version Available

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Picaso

Picaso

Maybe, but in my view what is flat out stupid is upsetting your customers with a supposedly rapid-entry order DOM that requires to click on a confirmation pop-up. :confused:

#21     Nov 23, 2010
  2. LeeD

LeeD

It's not like IB has a choice. Till the lawsuit, in which Trading Technologies claims "rapid-entry" DOM is covered by their patent, is resolved, IB has to keep the techology in question (static DOM) out of TWS. It's just a damage-mitigation exercise. In the event TT wins, IB's liability will be based on how many copies of TWS DOM waere used or could have been used. So, they modified the DOM so that it's clearly outside the scope of the patient.

Till the lawsuit is finished, anyone who needs DOM will have to resort to 3rd-party solutions.

#22     Nov 23, 2010
  3. Where did you see this at by the way? IB Customer service is saying versions 903.7 and below are being cutoff on November 30th. Is this something new that has come out recently via email because the rep I talked to was not aware of it affecting versions above 903.7.

#23     Nov 23, 2010
  4. If you're running 905.X you get a popup saying upgrade to 906 by 12/7, the dates are staggered for older versions.

If anyone knows how to spoof the version check please PM - I think there was an old thread where someone tried unsuccessfully a while ago.

#24     Nov 23, 2010
  5. Ah, ok thanks. I'm running 905 but didn't get this message. Oh well, I guess Plan B. I was getting hopeful for a minute when they said 905 was still being supported. :(

#25     Nov 23, 2010
  6. Bob111

Bob111

that's one risky plan :p
    because like i said-QA in IB does not exist..we all are IB's guinea pigs..don't be surprised,if something that you have used in past will not work in next version or work differently. dunno....like trigger method for stop(just an example). i prefer to check and double check before i put my money into this fucking game via TWS

#26     Nov 23, 2010
  7. Bob111

Bob111

here is the pic-

#27     Nov 23, 2010
  8. Ah, but I didn't tell you what Plan B was! Hint, it involves another brokerage account. IB will be relegated to backup status until this version mess is sorted out. I have looked at the later versions and do not like what I am seeing so far and I don't have time to test enough between now and the 7th to feel comfortable with live trading. Way to go IB.

BTW, my other account offers TT so IB might want to consider settling this lawsuit if this is really what is driving these asinine forced upgrades...Overall, I like IB as a company but the following have made me reconsider my level of continuing involvement:

1) Forced software upgrades, obviously

2) Midnight reset, or 12:15, or 12:30 or 12:45, depending on what night it is... really can't believe this is still necessary in a 24/5 environment

3) Auto-liquidation procedures and policy. I'm all for maintaining proper margins and account liquidity but some recent stories have made me wonder about the logic of this.

#28     Nov 23, 2010
  9. Bob111

Bob111

:p

good luck with that..i'm IB's customer since 2000 or so..it always like this,when it comes to TWS. CS support got way better,some other things,but TWS-always one helluva mess..

i have one pretty "fun" bug in every version since 890 or so, that nobody was able to reproduce so far-when you have bunch of working orders on the page and have to manually adjust the price and press transmit-the whole entire row with ticker and order jumps either few rows up or down :p
    what a fucking fun that is, when you have 20-30 working orders that needs to be adjusted to close the position.
    famous multiplication issue just been fixed like month or so,where trades that comes from certain exchange(ISLAND to be exact) displayed without multiplicator..this one was there for years. must be fun for "tape readers"
    :p

#29     Nov 23, 2010
  10. So, given that I am happy with IB and use Sierra Chart for charting and order entry (so need none of that stuff from TWS) but still want to use TWS:

- what is the smallest, solidest, lowest bug build since 905?

I believe I have the last 907 and 908 builds but didn't collect 906.

#30     Nov 23, 2010