IB TWS Old Version Available

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i can show you at least 10 bugs in ANY version of TWS. some of them are there for DECADE.like disappearing symbols from page.
    all this whining..screaming etc is because every time i have to update- i have no idea what to expect from next version. and it may take a while to find the problems and find workarounds. see thread and fucking struggle about booktrader single click. many times,many of critical changes are not documented at all. like changing basket format,switching from GMT to local time..just two,that comes to my short memory..you know-those things can literally kill you in one day. that why i'm not a big fucking fan of ANY changes. because i know this AS A FACT,that new build will bring MORE new bugs to deal with..i just got adapted to relatively stable 904..bamm! have to switch again...when you have to manage multiple accounts,multiple settings on multiple PC's-it is not fucking easy, as many may think. another problem is that with every new forced upgrade IB give us less and less time to adapt and less and less versions to play with.
    they don't give a shit about us..they most likely don't even understand, that serious trader MUST check every functionality he uses, make sure it works properly,spend many days risking his money,before decide to what version to upgrade. yes, this is how it's works for me. i'm not the guy,who picks latest,biggest fucking slowest version on TWS..and that's why i have ALL previous version on my PC. i keep all of them for a fucking reason..

#11     Nov 23, 2010
  2. LeeD

LeeD

Given the number of people unhappy with this change, this sounds like more money for independent developers of clickable DOM.

#12     Nov 23, 2010

3. This is not true you just haven't been using an old enough version once they cut off support for it. I have and it does result in a forced upgrade. This has happened several times over the last year and is just about to happen again. If you are using an old version that they no longer support it will not work after their IB imposed cut-off date. Removing Check for TWS updates has no effect on this.

#13     Nov 23, 2010
  4. Bob111

Bob111

have to notice that all this upgrade madness does not improve speed of execution or speed of TWS itself. with every build it's gets bigger,slower,slower to login,consume more and more memory and PC's resources..as for order speed-man....i feel like i'm trading with fucking scottrade in 90's..not sure,why i have spend so much money on FIOS,when it's take literally a second for my order to get to the exchange,wherei can see it..i guess IB have to check every possibility to fuck me up with their "smart" routing..

#14     Nov 23, 2010
  5. Bob111

Bob111

this is first thing that i do all the time. automatically update to newest version will royally fuck up everyone,who decide to trust IB and their IT dept....

#15     Nov 23, 2010
  6. This might be the point that I ditch TWS altogether and just trade with the gateway. I don't think I want to upgrade TWS past 905 and if IB is seriously going to cut-off supporting a version from May 2010 in December this just seems to be getting way out of hand with these forced upgrades. This is really crazy if you ask me since so many people will be affected negatively by this. I wish IB would listen to their customers for once and stop with these forced upgrades!

#16     Nov 23, 2010
  7. I agree and I do this too but what I was saying is that once IB drops support for a version you must upgrade to a newer build of TWS regardless. My point was that you cannot run an old version indefinitely as long as IB continues to enforce these mandatory upgrades. Dropping support in December for a release from May of this year is very ill advised :mad:

#17     Nov 23, 2010
  8. Actually they DO listen to their customers, and that is - ironically - part of the problem. One reason that more and more features are implemented into TWS is that customers can vote for new features. It's a bit like the phenomenon that in a democracy, government tends to get bigger and goverment intervention more intrusive over time: If you want new rules and regulations, you vote for it. And while each voter may have valid reasons for each new rule, in the end, you get a complete mess of millions of rules and regulations and people wonder 'how did we get there?'.

Don't get me wrong: It's good that there is this voting mechanism. But there should also be a mechanism to to keep this constant evolution in check. Otherwise, it tends to get out of hand, resulting in more bugs or bugs not fixed, because too much resources are eaten up by implementing new features, just because the customers 'say so.'

#18     Nov 23, 2010
  9. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

Hello,
    Bob111 please check your inbox and contact me. If you have any examples of orders taking a second to show up in the market data please send them and we will investigate.
    Thanks

#19     Nov 23, 2010
  10. I kind of wonder if the reason they are doing the forced upgrade is this thread and other places where people were passing around old versions in public view.

I have no idea, however as a rule and for future reference, this type of thing is best left to private email or the least the private message system. Announcing a work-around on a public board partly (i believe) sponsored by IB was flat out stupid and (might have) contributed to an inconvenience for many, many traders here.

#20     Nov 23, 2010