IB TWS locks up every morning on the open

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rbartell, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Using 2 gig of ram doesnt sound right.

Try running without your API code, it may be doing something funky.

#11     Jun 9, 2009
  2. Bob111

Bob111

how many tickers on page?
    any charts(IB's)
    i've notice something like this after you open charts,move mouse over it,then close. after that this freezing thingy happen. the size of the chart is also matters. the bigger-the more cpu usage(up to 100% on moving the mouse over it(Thank you! nice programming!))

#12     Jun 9, 2009
  3. rbartell

rbartell

I'm looking up about 75 tickers and have about 10 charts. Haven't seen that chart problem before, although IB acknowledged that they do have a problem with charts (and time and sales data) loading if you request too many symbols within a certain time frame (this does not have anything to do with any built-in limits). For example, take a chart window and try to load 30 symbols one right after another and it will eventually sit there at "Loading" for about five minutes.

#13     Jun 9, 2009
  4. rbartell

rbartell

As a program, it's using about .6 Gig of RAM.
    My guess is that it's probably the API, like you said.

#14     Jun 9, 2009
  5. mss

mss

I have had the problem periodically.

I have turned off the "Create Audit Trail" feature and, i believe, I have had many fewer problems recently.

#15     Jun 9, 2009
  6. gkishot

gkishot

I am running API as well. I guess my API does something funky too.

TWS itself also consistently freezes after I close View/Trades window.

#16     Jun 9, 2009
  7. maxpi

maxpi

I run Ninjatrader, three or four charts typically, 500 line scripts updating every tick, Vista OS.. never have a problem. I've said it often here, get a white listing firewall like a SonicWall or a Hotbrick and put your trading machine behind it.. you won't get infected with anything, ever, and that will be one less thing to think about when you try to diagnose your setup...

I've found ways to crash Ninjatrader royally when I'm writing scripts. I can make it hork up .Net3.5 and 2.0 both to where I have to reinstall all the software again on XP. On Vista I can just repair the .Net3.5 and be up and running again in just minutes.... with Ninja and TWS running real time, never a problem that I've noticed.. I don't trade right at the very open though..

#17     Jun 9, 2009
  8. pretty sad if .net has to be repaired after a crash.

I would think we were beyond that in 2009.

I can't remember having to reinstall anything for many years after any crash, but don't do much with .net

#18     Jun 9, 2009
  9. Theres a whispering in your ear maxpi ....

Sierra Chart .... Sierra Chart ... Sierra Chart :)

#19     Jun 9, 2009
  10. rbartell

rbartell

I tried without API this morning and still ran into the same problem. Just after the close TWS got slower and slower until after about 2 minutes it had completely stopped updating anything. Again, the rest of the computer was functioning normally, and the Task Manager said "Running". Let me know if you try it without API and what it does.

maxpi - thanks for the advice on the firewall.

#20     Jun 10, 2009