IB TWS locks up every morning on the open

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rbartell, Jun 5, 2009.

1. rbartell

rbartell

Has anyone else had TWS lock up right when the U.S. market's open? I still get data to come in, but it takes about 10-30 seconds to get a response when I click on something. When I shut down and re-open, it is back to normal. My computer doesn't show any excessive CPU or memory use.

2. gkishot

gkishot

Same is here. Sometimes it locks up for 3-4 min right at the opening. I think it gets better later. Maybe their server can't handle a high volume of trades in the morning.

3. moarla

moarla

???

so you are the first 2 users of 90.000 IB users, that note that problem?

maby the problem is not a problem but something else??

no problems here....

4. gkishot

gkishot

Are you with IB customer service? Is it ok to send you the log file?

5. moarla

moarla

no i am not

6. If you want to have a useful discussion on something like this you guys need to be more specific.

What version of TWS?
    What version of Java?
    What OS are you running?
    How long is the lock up? What locks up?

(note: one at 30 sec and one at 3-4 minutes makes one wonder if these are two entirely different issues???)

And so on. Because most users are not experiencing it so you need to see if there is a common factor.

7. gkishot

gkishot

I've sent the log file to their technical support so let's see what they have to say about that. So far no response.

8. I have never had a problem with TWS locking up at the open, but I do have a problem with TWS locking up when a DOM that has been running for a while is exited. TWS locks up and thrashes the disc for 60 to 120 seconds. After the disc thrashing is over TWS reconnects and works normally again. I just consider it as another TWS "feature".

Running Windows XP, TWS 894.4 and Java Version 1.6.0_13 from Sun Microsystems Inc. This is not a new problem as it also happened with previous TWS and Java versions.

9. rbartell

rbartell

Let me know if I'm leaving anything else relevant out:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
    3.00GB RAM

TWS:
    Build 895.3 Jun 3,2009
    Jolt 1.1.1 Apr 8,2009
    Nia 1.4.8 May 11,2009
    ModelNAV 1.1.22 May 6,2009
    Java 1.6.0_13

I am also running API through visual studio grabbing data on 17 symbols.

It locks up for at least 2-3 minutes before I give up and shut down because I have active orders.

When it happens, my CPU processing is hovering between 45 and 85% and my RAM is about 2/3 used, and the "Task Manager" says the Workstation is "Running". Every other program functions at regular speed. I've sent them the log files and they don't see anything. IB thinks it may be corrupted or the internet connection. I have DSL @ 54.0 Mbps and am able to load TV shows at the speed you watch them, so I don't think the connection could be the issue.

10. Never have a problem.

#10     Jun 9, 2009