IB TWS layout nightmare

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SoesWasBetter, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Log into tws and simply restore the settings from the previous day. Done. What's the issue then?

#41     Mar 24, 2017
  2. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Well it works for most everyone else. Don't you think the tiny minority who messes up things is doing something wrong possibly?just a tiny possibility? I value your posts and believe you are an upstanding guy hence I give you the benefit of the doubt. But OP simply shitted all over the map without even posting a reproducible error

#42     Mar 24, 2017
  3. I was dealing with the column sizing today - got jinxed I guess. The issue is that when you resize a column on one tab, it often resizes the same column on some adjacent tabs (which is annoying when the others were "correct" and now are too big or too small). Then when you go to fix the other tab, it usually messes up the first one in the same way. Somehow only certain tabs are linked to eachother this way, and seemingly in groups.

It takes some fiddling, and it's worth noting that the "resize columns" option, while not ideal, does not have this issue (it only effects that tab). I eventually got it to be more or less back to normal, and while I didn't entirely figure out the way the bug works, it's clear you shouldn't tweak your column sizing if you can avoid it.

#43     Mar 24, 2017
    Shadetree42 likes this.
  4. Ryan81

Ryan81

For what it's worth, this is what I've seen...

In a named watchlist, it seems to remember the column labels and spacing, regardless of which monitor window you open that particular named watchlist in. But different watchlist names can have different column layouts.

The portfolio view in the monitor window behaves like one of the particular named watchlists, that is, the way you set up the columns in one monitor window will be the same way it appears in any monitor window.

Not really a big deal for me....

#44     Mar 24, 2017
  5. So you're the only guy who has never had TWS layout problems. What does that say about you, "mate"?

#45     Mar 24, 2017
  6. The main issue is that they added a column called "TickerAction." Dumb, but no big deal as long as you can delete it. Unfort, if you delete it, it re-generates itself immediately. Unreal.

The other issue is that they are forcing an order column with no apparent purpose, "Cash Quantity", to exist. If you remove it, it will also re-generate itself as soon as you enter a ticker row order, plus it will expand the column width to show all of "Cash Quantity." Even more ridiculous.

It will probably take six months of users complaining to get these two issues fixed.

#46     Mar 24, 2017
  7. I already figured out that zzzz1 was nothing more than a troll. Ignore him

#47     Mar 25, 2017
    Shadetree42 and J.P. like this.

8. Yep. Exact issue I've dealt with for years. Seems to be a major problem randomly , then behaves for a while.

Basically the code that controls page layout is BUGGY and needs to be reworked, so that these column mambos don't occur. Each page is supposed to be independent but it simply was never properly debugged.

Simpletons like zzzz1 probably never add any custom columns or touch anything, so never have an issue.

#48     Mar 25, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Do you know how many here use TWS? 4 or 5 people with issues are clearly not representative of the broad majority of users.

#49     Mar 25, 2017
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You are using a factory-fresh McLaren to go get groceries.
    You have no complaints, and can't conceive of any.
    Congratulations.

Motor on!

(Oh. But if you take that thing anywhere near a track, or anywhere near 200mph, "factory fresh"? You're gonna die. And it will be *your* fault.)

#50     Mar 25, 2017
    Shadetree42 likes this.