IB TWS layout nightmare

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SoesWasBetter, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ryan81

Ryan81

Yeah, it auto-updated me too...

Now my orders windows have 2 columns that it won't let me remove.. "Key" and "Snapshot".... Well, I can remove them, but it automatically adds them back immediately. Bizarre.

Also the "vmoptions" reset the max heap size back to 768M, so I had to bump that back up again.

Another silly thing with the "orders" window is, if I have it filtered for Live or Completed trades, it now puts this huge warning on the bottom telling me that the list is filtered. No duh.

The option chain display is different too. Seems to be much more spaced out, so less info is visible at once. But I do like the color highlighting based on how many std deviations.

Being able to "flip" combo positions is kinda neat too.

#21     Mar 24, 2017
    MoreLeverage likes this.
  2. Bob111

Bob111

ended up with solution that hopefully will work for me. not relying on their "recovery" bullshit or settings file i made a screenshoot of column and tabs configuration window for both marker data and order columns. looks like this is the only way to "save" your current setup from unexpected changes.

#22     Mar 24, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. Bob111

Bob111

there is no end of the changes they made. when i tried to shut down TWS it's starts uploading WHATEVER to their servers. that option, to save settings on their servers WAS DISABLED by me. because i can use TWS on multiple computers with different screen resolution AND number of monitors. THANKS AGAIN IB! it was a fantastic exersise to move all the charts and windows that you have open on 4 screen into a ONE,if you are on different computer. just try it yourself.

PS-after relogin Ticker Action is back. even after i deleted this column and saved settings. i'm done with "trading" for today

#23     Mar 24, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  4. Bob111

Bob111

memory usage-doubled to 700MB per instance WTF?!

#24     Mar 24, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

You are an idiot is all I can say to this. You could have auto saved settings each day and could easily reload past days' layouts.

And your multi monitor issues and different screen resolutions on the 2 different computers you login from are your choice, not IB's problem. Unless you newly install tws on a machine the settings are stored and maintained separately on each local machine and only a copy is synced with their server. Really a simple problem

#25     Mar 24, 2017
  6. Actually no, I kept settings auto saved. But they still changed the layout.
    What helped me was I just made the text size larger, and maximized the window again and it is now cleaner look.

But yeah kind of a pain in the ass to wake up to fix. At least its back to working as better/normal...

#26     Mar 24, 2017
  7. Bob111

Bob111

go back to a page #2 and re read what i wrote..here----all columns are messed up,"recovery" doesn't do shit. some columns are added by itself like expiration time and so on. ticker action..-------------

i'm user of this software for almost two decades. and i'm well aware of it's nature. i even have a separate backup directory where all my accounts settings files are stored . SEPARATELY,on SEPARATE PARTITION. let me repeat one more time- "recovery" did nothing. replacing settings files in JTS directory did nothing. it did not restore my setup. one more time-storing settings on their servers was DISABLED in my TWS before this forced update. for this particular reason, explained above. because i often switch computers with different screens and resolutions. i did not ask IB to store my settings on their servers. i did not ask IB to change fonts,font sizes everywhere. i did not ask IB to change order and number of columns and order columns on my TWS. list of shitty, messed up changes that doesn't make any practical sense to me is endless. why the fonts and sizes on charts being changed and substituted with a micro letters ? it takes another few minutes to find how to change that. order ticket window. the checkbox for "hidden" order use to be in "basic", now every time you use order ticket window-it requires couple extra clicks to check this feature and create hidden order. why? why it's been moved into "enable hidden features" tab? makes ZERO sense to me. not only that,once you click to enable hidden order check box -it wont be there next time you try to use order ticket window. so you have to do it every single time, when you want to create hidden order via order ticket window (which i use a lot). when you right click on the ticker to bring that option-that little window with charts,trading tools etch-flickers like crazy for a few times before you can actually choose anything. wasn't like that before. and all this just after brief attempt to use this piece of shit TWS after "upgrade"

#27     Mar 24, 2017
  8. Bob111

Bob111

here is another one for you-you click on icon "TWS" on your PC desctop on shortcut or whatever ,right? see check box "use/store settings on server". you uncheck it. close this window,open up again to login into TWS-same fucking box is checked again. and if it is-it will load settings from their servers. does this make sense? not to me. i made my choice first time-i did uncheck it. why it checked every time?

#28     Mar 24, 2017
  9. Bob111

Bob111

wtf is this? wasn't like that yesterday.i need a microscope to see anything. why they changed that? and it's everywhere. everywhere i click. that's the problem with IB. you made some changes-please,let us know. you want us to upgrade TWS? let us know. and for a sake-please,fix this problem with settings ! i'm struggling with it since 2002. and it's still there. that's the problem

#29     Mar 24, 2017
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You are booting from the server, where your last save, of course, says, "use/store settings on server".

You need (I *think*) to download TWS to your HD, and set that up as your boot. Then, your entire set-up will exclude IB's server set-up.

Why do they do this? Well, we have three ways to "play":
    1) paper account.
    2) settings (.xml) in the jts folder with particular names (e.g., "friday-ES-fun.xml")
    3) local HD .xml versus IB server-based .xml.

If you're using the (mostly-recommended by IB) IB-server-based TWS download, if you make changes you're not sure about, then specify "Do not use/store..."

At any event, this is all MY RECOLLECTION, which, Jeez, I seem to need to re-learn every time. Maybe it'll work for you, though.

#30     Mar 24, 2017