IB TWS issues last couple of days...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by risktaker, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

I've been running Java JRE 1.6.0 and JRE 1.5.0.11 on two seperate machines. Both machines running TWS 867.

It seems that JRE 1.6 had a few hiccups where JRE 5 upt11 had none.

And this would be off IB's East Coast server farm.

I think I'm going to stick with JRE 5 upt 11 for the time being. It boots up TWS faster on my rigs. Seems more stable. And it's supported by IB while JRE 1.6 is not.

Note: JRE 1.6 is supossed to be faster and in some respects it is. At least that's is what I observed. It just loads TWS slower. I suppose the speed increases and new "whatever" that is inside it can cause TWS to have the occassional freak glitch. Stuck quotes, stuck order status, screen redraw issues from time to time, etc. All things that resolves with a reboot of TWS.

#31     Mar 2, 2007
  2. Hmmm. It does load faster with 1.5.0_11

I guess we stick with that until IB tests with 1.6

#32     Mar 2, 2007
  3. Upgrade my JRE to the latest 1.6.0.01;

Big mistake; Very slow to load;

gosh. i have to rolll back to 1.5.0.11;

#33     Apr 22, 2007
  4. Adding java 1.6 doesnt require you to use it for TWS. I have 1.6 and 1.5 11 and just point the TWS command line at the javaw.exe in the 1.5 11 directory

ignore the double slashes

C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_11\\bin\\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;jfreechart-1.0.0.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx256M jclient/LoginFrame C:\\Jts

#34     Apr 22, 2007
  5. rayl

rayl

I don't notice much of a speed difference with 1.6 except upon initial loading of a function (probably bec the .jars need to be re-compiled from byte code into more optimized code for 1.6 whereas this was done a while ago for 1.5 in my cache).

But I did notice two UI glitches:

1. In the main screen you can no longer reorganize your tabs. Any attempt to drag & drop detaches the tab.

2. Right clicking on a line sometimes causes the menu to pop up in a strange place and a random command on the menu to be executed. Fortunately the Trade commands are in a submenu so they are never accidentally executed. This seems to correspond with the machine being under heavy load from another process but I've only seen it with Sun JRE 1.6, not with 1.5.

So, yes, I'm back to 1.5. Rather than running via command line, I set JNLP to disable 1.6 so all JNLP starts use 1.5 but browser applets use 1.6.

#35     Apr 22, 2007
  6. all you 1.6 problem children, Ive been using it for months with no issues.

methinks your installs are bad

are you using reasonably fast computers or is the 286 still in service? ;-))

I do see the reorginize tab bug, but i have no performance issues

#36     Apr 23, 2007
  7. I didn't have issues but noted IB's non-support of 1.6. When I redirected TWS to use 1.5 it was faster to load and one issue I hadn't picked up on disappeared.

#37     Apr 23, 2007
  8. how slow is the load?

my standalones take maybe 30 seconds or less to fully load after entering my pass.

surely thats not what folks are complaining about?

#38     Apr 24, 2007
  9. I think the suspicion is that if its slower to load then it may be doing other things slower. I have no idea ... I changed back simply because IB said they were not supporting 1.6 yet - why tempt fate :)

#39     Apr 24, 2007
  10. rayl

rayl

My experience is the same on load time, around 30-45secs. It's not bad when you're sitting at desk and load at start of day, but, if you're at airport or in a taxi between meetings wanting to drop in via EVDO card, it does seem to take a while. I don't think it's that big a deal all things considered.

But, sometimes it seems like the first time you do a particular action in a while (like bring up the full order ticket window for a more complex order), Java hiccups.

I suspect Java is doing some JIT compiling due to the previous JIT compile of that section of code having expired from cache. This I find more annoying and it *feels* more prevalent with JRE 1.6 than 1.5, though I haven't evaluated it more rigorously. The tab repositioning problem was enough to send me back to 1.5.

#40     Apr 24, 2007