IB TWS Issue

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sgsaxton, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Hi,
    The connection between TWS and Ib servers keeps disconnecting, sometimes 4-5 times an hour. I'm using windows firewall and AVG Virus protection. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks

2. One of the biggest mystery of this ET board is that I see this sort of post so frequently, nevertheless, so many users insist they have no problem of TWS connection ever.
    Honestly how much is the uptime of IB server or connection established time between TWS and IB?? Can someone measure it objectively.

3. Never a problem

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57422&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

I'm having the same problem on two different computers and a multitude of ISP's ( I travel alot). Sometimes it is my ISP at home which is Comcast. Comcast in this region absolutely sucks. I can usually tell when it's them or IB simply by whether my charts are still updating or not. To IB's credit there are two different reps looking at my logs to see if they can figure out what's going on.

5. Smooth,

It almost always seems to be ISP issues.

The problem is that some ISP's drop packets to control flow and this can cause problems. Others increase latency (delay) for a similar effect. Some just overload and have variable problems.

One of the better investments a trader can make is in a relatively expensive ISP. They should have very few packet drops and a low latency to your broker. For this reason I pay about twice as much for my broadband as my non-trader neighbour.

I have connected to both the IB US and IB HK servers from 3 countries around the world (not the US) and only once had a problem (which was solved by paying more for an ISP who didn't screw around with my traffic when 1,000,000 kids came on line after school).

6. Bob111

Bob111

yep. it's your starting point, not IB TWS. for last few days i'm also having problems with comcast cable. look into your modem logs

7. Thanks Guys,
    You were 100% right. I spent some time learning about "pinging" and "tracing" after which found a time out issue on, what appeared to be, one of their servers. I then contacted my ISP and told them what was found . They then rerouted my stuff and the problem has vanished.

Thankyou all again.

Regards,

Steve