IB TWS is the most confusing trading platform I have seen

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by 4DTrader, Mar 27, 2008.

1. IB's good commission rate, the almost free (compared to other's) data feed and the universal account feature make it a good all around deal. The free charts are not so great, so what? Use a compatible charting software.

I am using Sierra, fed by IB data.

#21     Mar 28, 2008
  2. "They planted a hand in the butt = The bar changes on the right edge of the IB chart, but the price of the last trade is on the LEFT of the chart (not to mention the time is delayed). A trader has to move his head from right to left and then from left to the right and then from right to the left and then from left to the right...."

Really comical.

Once in the chart you go into Configure/Chart/Chart Settings there is a pulldown called Display Price Axis where you can chose left, right or both sides.

#22     Mar 28, 2008
  3. BSAM

BSAM

If all the bullshit IB threads were removed from ET, there probably wouldn't be but about 10 or 12 left.

#23     Mar 28, 2008
  4. newbunch

newbunch

Hey now!!!

I use IB's charting, but just to watch the market, not to trade it. My system is a quant system and doesn't involve intra-day trading, so the charts are good enough for me.

But yes, the charting is definitely sub-par.

#24     Mar 28, 2008
  5. "sub-par" is an understatement. IB chart is DELAYED, that's a joke in 2008. This is not 1998.

#25     Mar 31, 2008
  6. People as dumb as you shouldn't even trade to begin with.
    The TWS grid is imo a very good solution for fast order-entry. The charts are not there to trade, although they are configurable to a certain degree, which I have no doubt you never even tried. But they are not as good as specific charting software like Sierra and Quotetracker that are easily connected to TWS; Easily for a normal person ie.; for someone like you it is probably an unsurmountable bump in the road, which is by intention, now read first sentence.

#26     Mar 31, 2008
  7. Why do you enjoy self-inflicted wounds? There are brokers offering much better trading platforms, just in case you are stuck with IB since 1999.

Most of the IB users are old traders from late 1990s. I know it's difficult to get rid of something you are familiar with, especially you are old.

#27     Mar 31, 2008
  8. Ok then, I'm sorry I called you a douche bag. You're probably just a fuckstick.

#28     Mar 31, 2008
  9. If they are old traders from the late 1990s thay must be consistently making money. If you are consistently making money, why would you want to change anything?

IB works best for people that know what they are doing.

#29     Mar 31, 2008
  10. You have to admire 4D, he manages to say something stupid in every single post.

Definitely a plant to liven things up.

#30     Mar 31, 2008