IB TWS is slow and unresponsive -- is it normal?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Kixp, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Kixp

Kixp

Hi,

I am a new IB customer and TWS is really slow, unresponsive and laggy on Windows 7 64 bit, 24GB RAM. When I click on a ticker in a watchlist, the interface takes 2 seconds to adjust, even if I don't synchronize any chart window to the watchlist.

Tried all the usual suspects, nothing worked: uninstalled all Java versions and TWS, restarted windows, reinstalled latest versions of everything.

I am starting to think it's normal... is it? TWS is usable but the lag is really annoying, I hope it's not normal but with Java's reputation for bloat and slowness, I am not sure.

Thanks.

2. Just in case you haven't done so, I recommend that you actually give TWS more memory that it allocates by default.

Here is my command line [right-click on icon -> Properties]:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;hsqldb.jar;jcommon-1.0.12.jar;jfreechart-1.0.9.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts

The option -Xmx1024m gives TWS 1 GB of memory. That's all I need, but you can give it more as an experiment if you do 100+ live orders.

I'm not sure if the MaxPermSize is something I set or IB suggested. It's a solid setting, however.

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true is important, too

Some of the other settings might be different as I don't like to upgrade TWS.

On Linux you will need to fiddle a bit more with it, but I haven't done in some time, so I have no good suggestions.

3. rwk

rwk

I have Win7 Home Premium (64-bit), but I have only the 32-bit Java installed. I never got it working in 64-bit.

4. I switched to IB last month and had the exact same problem on my 64-bit Win7 system. Turns out that it was a glitch in the TWS version (I figured it out from another thread here). I had been using the downloadable TWS, but now I just have it load from my browser by going to the IB homepage -> login -> Trader Workstation Beta and it runs fine. (It stays open even if you close your browser).

5. def

def Sponsor

Feel free to start a chat with technical support. They should be able to assist and resolve your issue.