IB TWS has problem executing orders

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by toon, Oct 20, 2021.

1. toon

toon

I have noticed that sometimes IB TWS cannot execute orders to close positions in futures contracts, no matter what types of orders I submit, for example, market orders, buy/sell at bid, buy/sell at ask, closing a position at market price etc., TWS does not execute the order. I have to try many times or have to shut down and restart TWS to have the order executed.

The problem was severe tonight between 00:20am and 00:30am, New York time. I had a relatively large long position in a futures contract. I submitted sell at market orders, sell at bid orders, and close position at market price orders. None of them worked during my multiple attempts. I shut down and restarted TWS multiple times, but it still did not work. I even tried to submit an order from the mobile app, still did not work. I was very worried. I tried again in TWS. Finally the orders were executed. There was a delay of about 1o minutes. Fortunately the delay of execution was in my favor. The long position was closed at higher prices.

I wish IB to fix this problem and prevent this from happening again in the future. If the delay of execution has a worse price, IB will have to compensate me for the price difference.

2. traider

traider

Which futures contract is this? Did you contact their support? What was their response?

3. comagnum

comagnum

IB has a sever reset every night - I wish this was not the case since this time of night the market is often on the move.

upload_2021-10-20_10-26-14.png

toon likes this.
  4. jobber

jobber

I've had that happen to me 3 times with IB TWS at night. I'm not a big futures trader and normally trade MES. But still, that wasn't acceptable for me. The last time I had to call in to close the trade of only 1 MES. Not a big lost but still a lost because of the problem. It just simply doesn't work at times. Almost 15 minutes passed that last time while calling in.

It wasn't during those reset times either, I'm aware of that mess. Yet I think that affects the system way longer than they claim. It wasn't down during the trades. Sure it works at times but I stopped using them at night. I use TD or Charles at night now, don't trust the great IB at all.

toon likes this.
  5. traider

traider

I can understand why, I can't run TWS for more than a day without it bloating to gigabytes of memory.

6. toon

toon

Last night the TWS had the same problem again. It happened at different time than the day before.