IB TWS freezing on Mac OSx

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by miya888, Feb 13, 2013.

1. miya888

miya888

It happens randomy, sometimes when requesting a new ticker, sometimes when changind some simple configuration, etc, the only way to get around this is to REBOOT TWS completely, a major pain, anyone have similar problems? more importantly any solutions???

this has happened with the last 5 or 6 TWS releases, both beta and full release.

2. TraderDog

TraderDog

Yes, I am having the same problem. I am using TWS on Mac OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.

3. Solution: Dump your Mac.

4. Never experienced anything like this.

Things you can try:

- Delete TWS completely and re-install it
    - Remove background programs: see system preferences > users and groups > login items; try to remove them one by one to find out if one of them causes this behavior.
    - Update Java - there was an Java update for OS X recently, should come up when you select 'software update'
    - If you have some antivirus software installed, disable it and see if the behavior persists.
    - If all else fails, try to upgrade or downgrade your OS X version. I'm currently running TWS on Snow Leopard and Lion without problems

5. bawr

bawr

I have never experienced this problem.

I use a Java Web Start file to run the current "browser" based version of TWS on Mac OS X 10.8.2 with Java 7 Update 13.

6. koolaid

koolaid

if you trade seriously, why are you taking this chance. dump the mac.

7. I've used TWS for years on Windows. I have also used it for years on a Mac.

The OS X version is at least as stable as the Windows version, personally I would even say it is more stable. However, BOTH are not immune to problems.

If the problem would occur on a windows machine - what would be your response then? Dump the windows machine? :p

8. koolaid

koolaid

Why are you bringing your personal "experience" on the stability of each platform and bias into this discussion. Who cares about your personal experience; it does not refelect OP's experience. You may not have a problem with running TWS on OSX, but he is. I could care less if you use mac or windows. The OP states that he has a problem with TWS on OSX...and he has tried many things to fixed it...thus the logical solution would be to dump the mac. I don't get why you are trying to make this personal...do you own apple stocks or something?

Yes I would, but this is not the current situation that OP is in. You're talking about trading; if a lot of money is involved, would you want your platform crashing on you randomly. This could cost you a lot of money. If something was affecting my trading like that, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

9. There may be a hardware problem involved, if that's the case it's best to get rid of the machine and replace it - or repair it, if possible. But no need to switch platforms then. If that's what you meant, fine. However, a comment "like dump the Mac" makes as much sense as "dump Linux" or whatever, as soon as a some problem arises and before there is any indication that the problem is indeed OS-related.

As for Apple stocks... couldn't care less. :D

10. BTW: I would talk to IB... if the problem arises more often, customer support will likely already know about it. IB CS is not so bad anymore as it once was...

#10     Feb 16, 2013