IB TWS - Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by HappyTrader, Feb 3, 2017.

1. JackRab

JackRab

8 Gb sounds like a lot... maybe a bit less it better? I've got it on 2G with 16GB mem (windows 10)... I found that allocating too much to TWS makes the whole system a bit unstable.

A lot of live charts open makes it run patchy... How many chart do you run at any given time? Maybe limit some?

Are all o your drivers up to date?

#71     Feb 11, 2018
  2. iprome

iprome

Thanks for your reply, JackRab.

I actually tried 2GB and 4GB max heap space as well, but my experiences were similar. When frozen, the memory usage of TWS easily shot up to 16GB~24GB (see attached). It looks like memory leaks or thread deadlock alike to me...

I have many programs installed on this Mac, including more resource-demanding photo and video editing software, but TWS is so far the only one that give me such headaches, and I almost always have to kill the TWS process manually...

I sent the diagnosis info to TWS developers from within the program a few times, but I see little hope for a fix, given how bloated this program is.

IIRC, certain versions I used in 2016 were way efficient and less sluggish. But I cannot find where to download them now.

#72     Feb 11, 2018
  3. JackRab

JackRab

wow.... 16-24 gb usage... I don't even get close to 2 GB... I think you might have too much stuff open. I don't use a Mac, so maybe it's related to that though.

#73     Feb 11, 2018
  4. IB themselves advise to not go beyond 2 GB for the TWS maximum heap size.

Having said that, I also experience regular freezes of TWS. Even on a Sunday afternoon, when there are no markets open and all data is therefore stable. I have three bar charts open. It mostly happens in two situations: (a) when I add a new symbol or contract to a monitor window. Or (b) when I did a what-if order on one instrument and then click on another instrument.
    In such cases do I have to manually kill the TWS process. Operating system is Ubuntu 16.04.

#74     Feb 11, 2018
  5. JackRab

JackRab

I've got 12 charts open... unless it's a very fast market, I'm totally fine with my 2G allocation. And I have a slower computer compared with @iprome

So I don't know how on earth one would get a usage of even close to 10Gb...

This is my current reading, current use of 629Mb. (>Help>About TWS)
    upload_2018-2-12_12-41-28.png

#75     Feb 11, 2018
    MoreLeverage likes this.