IB TWS - Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by HappyTrader, Feb 3, 2017.

1. graz

graz

Sorry, I got it backwards: 7mb download and 1.7mb upload. I have 8GB ram and the max TWS uses is about 1gb. No background apps while using TWS.

IB did recommend to try the Offline version of TWS. I'll give that a try when I have more time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    #61     Apr 24, 2017
  2. Ryan81

Ryan81

Pretty sure that isn't the problem, as the issue only happens in situations where I am other-wise affected by the "slowness" problem.

But I gave it a shot anyway... I just went into the Global Configuration and set the browser path to:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

Which is copied directly from my desktop shortcut.... and No dice, I get the same exact error dialog box in TWS when trying to go to Account Management Home.

#62     Apr 24, 2017
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I love the fact that we've all got our tweaks, that all stem from such a variety of experiences.
    Different 'net delivery, different CPU protocol, different RAM/RAM-disk/etc configurations,... we still deal with different Java vintages, etc etc etc......

It tells me that I am not so alone, when I 3-6 times/day, click open TaskManager/ShowAllUsers or weekly (or more) hit speedtest.net, or watch the consumption and misbehavior when I have a 'net-ad-laden free-streaming CNBC doing the RAM-amoeba thing....... or when I just give up, and twice save my working TWS via Settings and SaveSettingsAs and all that......

Sound familiar?

I guess, we can take nothing as granted, and work in redundancies and operations-barometers wherever we can.

I guess it's just good to see it happening all around the world, and not just in my little wood-paneled palantir nest.......

#63     Apr 24, 2017
  4. Ryan81

Ryan81

Yeah, my work-around for using it in the office is, using TWS in a vmware virtual machine that is connected to my home network via a VPN.

#64     Apr 24, 2017
  5. graz

graz

I tried the Offline TWS (964.1e). The time from launch to the login screen is only 4 secs now (previously 11-12 secs) but the time from the Login button to a fully populated TWS is not much better at 38 secs. Doesn't matter if I deselect "Use/store settings on server". Also as I launch TWS, I'm looking at the Task Mgr/ Networking tab and the TWS bandwidth used does not come close to my max throughput. Once TWS is loaded, it takes very little bandwidth.

In TWS, when I click on the Account menu / Account Management page, it takes about 8-10 secs for the browser to begin to launch and 2 secs latter, it displays the account management page..

#65     Apr 24, 2017
  6. graz

graz

I installed TWS 960.2g which is available on the NinjaTrader website and the load times are fast and as good as I remember them being. But of course, it's an older GUI with many minor features missing.

#66     Apr 27, 2017
  7. Just had a fatal abort while using the new note taking system . Hard crash.

#67     May 1, 2017
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Hope you're up&running this morning, SOES.
    FWIW, I'm running the stable/daily download (963.3e), and memory consumption is down/level (no creeping-crud RAM consumption), and interaction with other items (especially the Java-based items that sometimes are not so friendly, e.g., Firefox and OpenOffice) has been similarly stable, and even *cool-runnin'*, for the past week.

#68     May 2, 2017
  9. No, it just aborted with an error dump, was able to restart right away.

It didnt bring down the whole box.

#69     May 2, 2017
  10. iprome

iprome

I have TWS "stable" build 963.3m installed on my macOS 64bit with 32GB memory, and configured heap space -Xmx8G in ~/Jts/tws.vmoptions, but TWS still keeps freezing, especially when opening some charts in the volatility lab for SPX; it is basically unusable for me.

Can someone recommend a recent but usable version prior to 963.3m?

#70     Feb 10, 2018