IB TWS - Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by HappyTrader, Feb 3, 2017.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

DON'T DE-FRAG YOUR SSD!
    Dirty little secret is that that great habit for a hard drive EATS SOLID-STATE DRIVES.

#41     Apr 21, 2017
    JackRab likes this.
  2. To get the login window takes about 3 seconds. To get the GUI fully loaded about 10~15 seconds after providing password.
    My computer has Intel i5-2400 CPU @3.1 GHz, SSD hard drive and 10 Mbps internet connection. The OS is Ubuntu 16.04. I am using TWS stand-alone, version 962.2.

#42     Apr 22, 2017
    graz likes this.
  3. Ryan81

Ryan81

I will also say that recently, something happened with TWS making it slow to log in.
    On my computer at the office, with the office internet connection, it sometimes takes quite a while for the login box to show up, and even longer to fully log in after I have entered my credentials.

On my home machine, with my home internet connection, I don't have this problem.

It is very strange, and just started happening in the last month.

Edit: One theory going on in my mind is, since they are different internet connections, with different IP addresses, perhaps IB is choosing which servers to connect to based on some kind of geo-location thing with the IP address... and is sometimes redirecting me to very slow servers (???)

#43     Apr 22, 2017
    graz likes this.
  4. graz

graz

Thank you for the information.

Does your home PC have an SSD? Do you know the specs of your office PC? Like I said a few posts back, I used TWS about a year ago using the same exact well maintained PC (AMD A10-5700 3.4 ghz quad core with 8gb ram) and same internet speeds and the load times where fast. So, I think the software is slower. I wish I can get my hands on a slightly older version of TWS, maybe by a month or two. You can install multiple versions of TWS, correct? NinjaTrader has 960.2g but how old is that one.?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    #44     Apr 22, 2017
  5. Ryan81

Ryan81

Fairly certain that the hardware and internet connections at both locations are not the problem.

Very fast internet speeds at home and at the office, and both computers have very good hardware and are kept free of malware.

#45     Apr 22, 2017
  6. graz

graz

OK. Cool. Are the TWS versions the same? What about the Java versions? Thx.

#46     Apr 22, 2017
  7. Ryan81

Ryan81

TWS versions are both the same, the latest "STABLE" that they update do (Currently April 18).

Java versions are both 1.8.

#47     Apr 22, 2017
  8. Nowadays TWS brings its own Java with it when you install it. You don't have to install Java separately. This way TWS is certain to have access to the correct Java version it needs.

#48     Apr 22, 2017
    graz and tommcginnis like this.
  9. graz

graz

Thanks gentlemen. Possibly it's the Java? Can't be if Ryan has the same Java on both machines. I just updated my JRE from 8u121 to 8u131. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. When I have more time, I'm going to install the Java I had a year ago when I used TWS which was version 8u73. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall both and install only latest TWS and let TWS install Java. Thanks.

#49     Apr 22, 2017
  10. graz

graz

I uninstalled both Java (and all of the garbage it left behind and in the registry) and TWS and installed only TWS(latest) and it installed Java on the fly. From what I read, TWS installs a proprietary version of Java. My launch times are about the same. At first I thought it were faster but they're the same. All of that didn't make a difference.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    #50     Apr 22, 2017
    MoreLeverage likes this.