IB TWS - Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by HappyTrader, Feb 3, 2017.

1. graz

graz

I originally installed 963.3d and it IMMEDIATELY updated to 963.3e. Didn't have a chance to look at 963.3d. Today, the first day I tried TWS, I had about 3-4 connection losses. Also I noticed under Portfolio, my full balance is not listed, but it's confirmed elsewhere. Strange. Right now there's a huge connection loss

EDIT: I guess the solution is, once a good TWS version is found, then download the offline version of that version. I guess 963.3d could be found or any other recent version? I quickly looked for older versions and had no luck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    #31     Apr 21, 2017
  2. JackRab

JackRab

Yep... I lose connection more frequently as well with this one...

#32     Apr 21, 2017
  3. southall

southall

My aging 2011 macbook air (4gb/dual core i5/ssd) took about 6 second to login prompt and another 25 seconds to startup TWS.
    I think your AMD A10 5700 cpu is even slower than the i5 in my macbook air.

#33     Apr 21, 2017
  4. graz

graz

Thanks so much. I know my AMD is slower. A new PC is very low on the list right now for me. A SSD is attainable!!

#34     Apr 21, 2017
  5. dholliday

dholliday

When I upgraded to the latest version of TWS in January, there were immediate memory, freezing, problems. I don't know why they are releasing these, very broken, versions. I confirmed the problems by installing TWS on a brand new machine, latest everything, same problems. Downgrading to build 952.3b fixed the problems for me.

Since stability is important for what we do, I stick with an old, downloaded, version until I have tested a new version. Keep the old, proven, version around until you are happy with the new version. Generally this has proven very stable, no problems, for me.

As for startup times. TWS is written in Java. Java has a lot going for it, and newer languages like Kotlin (the first language I would consider to use rather than Java) run on the JVM, but start-up time and memory usage are not in the plus column. On startup the Java Virtual Machine is started up first, then TWS. Both take time and memory.

The machines I use for trading and software development are inexpensive i7 machines. For around $700 to $800 I buy a machine (from Newegg) with the latest i7 (last machine was a 6700) with 16 gig memory and 4 terabyte hard drive (I noticed the latest machines have SSD drives available). These machines are not very expandable. My older machine has an added graphics card (just powerful enough to run a 4k monitor) and my newer machine has an added card to add an additional hard drive (i7 6700 runs a 4k monitor). Both these machines are maxed out. Limited slots on motherboard and only a 300 watt power supply.

#35     Apr 21, 2017
    graz and MoreLeverage like this.
  6. graz

graz

Thanks. I used the link on the IB page which took me to the JRE (Java Runetime Environment) software. I don't have JVM installed. Since I do not see any evidence of JRE loading in task manager or anywhere with TWS, I was wondering if it was installed correctly. It installed smoothly and TWS does load, but slowly. It takes a while for the Daily Lineup to load (gradually liking it) and even then, some sections within it don't fill-in until I relaunch TWS.

I failed to mention that I used TWS about a year ago and the it seemed so much faster than it is now and I'm using the same PC (running even leaner now w/ less background apps) and same internet speed. Granted, they added some features since then but it shouldn't be that much slower. Where did you get the 952.3b? When was that version released? Thx.

#36     Apr 21, 2017
  7. Yeah, the latest updates (as of 2 weeks back or whatever) definitely seem a bit slower on the same system than the earlier version.

#37     Apr 21, 2017
    graz likes this.
  8. dholliday

dholliday

The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is part of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). If TWS starts, your are running on the JVM via a JRE. You can see it is running in Task Manager/Details/Java.exe.
    I don't see that IB has a TWS archive, so it seems that your only choice is to try the three versions available on their downloads page, unless you have an old install program in your downloads folder that you can try.
    I have found that the older a PC is the slower in runs. In the past I used to just reformat my hard drive every few years and everything ran fast again. Even now with my new and old machines, both i7 3.4ghz machines, the difference in speed is startling. Oh well.

#38     Apr 21, 2017
    graz likes this.
  9. ib includes their own java.

as for machines running slower over time , should not be significant if properly maintained.

I have yet to reinstall windows even once for that reason, ever since xp was in use

#39     Apr 21, 2017
  10. Dude, my ancient i5-750 and a 3 year old nvidia card run 4k (40") , and two 24" dells without even a hiccup.

#40     Apr 21, 2017