IB TWS - Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by HappyTrader, Feb 3, 2017.

1. I've been noticing a serious degradation in stability of the IB TWS Platform over the last month or two. Very often if I try to do any activity that retrieves data (display chain for an option, look at my portfolio, etc.) TWS will start to peg the CPU towards 100% and will remain non-responsive.

After waiting for a minute or two and clicking somewhere on the app, it turns that lovely dull colour with a pop up from windows indicating it is non responsive and if I would like to close it.

Basically it seems to work reliably only for a couple of hours before it needs to be restarted.

Anyone else notice such behavior?

2. Trader13

Trader13

I haven't noticed that. Since TWS is a bloated java application, my suggestion is to check if your Java is updated to the current release.

3. Yes, it started happening to me too in the last three days for the first time. After poking around in the log files, I found the heap OutOfMemory exception. TWS is using more than 1.2GB on my system around the close for the first time. Maybe some recently introduced memory leaks again??

Anyway, the solution seems to be to increase the heap size to -Xmx1500m or there about if your system can handle it.

Look in the tws.vmoptions file in the Jts folder.

4. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

No problems here. I suggest you fully remove it from your system and re-install fresh (also don't forget to do your system-level checks ... software updates, defrags etc.).

5. R1234

R1234

I have issues with not being able to close TWS windows and the only way out is to 'end process' in task manager. I notice this happens everytime I update Java. Why does this kind of stuff still happen in this day and age?

6. Bob111

Bob111

DECADES(!) old problem with settings. all columns are messed up today. restoring from previous days won't do shit.

financial instrument column. wtf was that? wasn't there yesterday. and it's same shit as TICKER.

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. Ryan81

Ryan81

I've noticed these issues too over the past few weeks too. And yeah, I noticed opening option chains with a lot of strikes and expiry's seems to exacerbate the problem.

The funny thing is, I thought I had increased the heap size by tweaking -Xmx in c:\Jts\ but now that I look at it, it is back to 768m. Strange. Maybe this got reset somehow? I'm going to bump it back up now.

Anyway, I'm using:

TWS Build 952.3b Nov 15 2016 1:42:09 PM
    Java Version: 1.8.0_60, Windows 7 (amd64, 6.1)

8. southall

southall

No problems here.
    But once i get a stable version of Java & TWS i rarely upgrade it.
    Suggest people Invest in 16GB+, super fast SSD, and latest processors.
    Those dont cost much these days.
    Also if possible move to MacOs.

9. dholliday

dholliday

I run out of memory with the latest build. I use Build 952.3b with latest Java, no problems.
    BTW I tested on a another brand new machine (i7 12 gig etc.), downloading the latest Java and TWS, same problem, out of memory.

10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I too am using the 952.3b build.
    TWS has remained relatively stable for me, but when I have memory/pack issues, it is because I have runaway consumption in (Java-based) Firefox (running Java-based Adobe Flash Player for video/audio packed advertisements around free/online CNBC), AND am running 1 or 2 sizable (Java-based) OpenOffice Calc spreadsheets. -- the consistent thing?? Lots of Java.

RARELY (10%) does that memory-sponge indict TWS. SOMETIMES (30%) it indicts OpenOffice Calc. MOSTLY (60%) it indicts the Firefox/FlashPlayer role of the page(s) for advertisement-bloated free/online CNBC.

If I kill the spreadsheet(s) and the browser, everything recovers nicely (most of the time).

ON A SEPARATE NOTE, I did get one funky-azz start-up on Tuesday -- with QuoteMonitor asset lines missing on some pages, scrambled on others, and missing AND scrambled on others. I brought up the previous Friday's set-up, and things were 3/4rs right -- still had to rebuild database pages (for 25 minutes) before I could off-load data -- NOT good in the middle of the day.

On a "Broad Market" page, I still have repeated data lines (for example, two "SPX-Index" lines, which should not be at all possible. Scary and screwy.

I "Save" often, hey.

#10     Feb 3, 2017