IB TWS Charts

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by j1900q, Jun 15, 2005.

1. kowboy

kowboy

IB charts only auto refresh on the one day or shorter time intervals.

So if you have a two day chart open, you must manually refresh the chart. Quite annoying.

Also the borders and margins are way too big and take up too much monitor screen real estate.

Also some of the chart studies (bolinger bands and volume) do not keep up in real time and need to be refreshed manually.

#11     Jun 16, 2005
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Kowboy.....

Using a 1 minute or a 5 minute chart, switch from a candle chart to a line chart. Candle charts do update the candles by each "last price". A line chart will not. Strange.

#12     Jun 16, 2005
  3. Speaking of annoyances.

How come the backfill does not work for after hours prints. If you call up a stock at 5pm, you get none of the trades between 4pm and 5 pm. Not good.

#13     Jun 16, 2005
  4. you probably are charting a "smart" symbol. You need to specify the exchange to get afterhours. Try using the "island ecn" symbol.

works 4 me.

#14     Jun 16, 2005
  5. Actually, Im getting backfill via Quotetracker. I wonder if they are using SMART instead of ISLD, causing the problem.

#15     Jun 17, 2005
  6. mhashe

mhashe

Good suggestion but that is unlikely to happen. IB programmers will be dead-set against such a move since it will prove to management how incompetent their programmers are.

#16     Jun 17, 2005
  7. Let me guess. You're NOT a programmer.

#17     Jun 17, 2005
  8. I'm not so sure about this. If I was working on the TWS charts, I'd welcome active support from the developers of jfreechart. I doubt if it's a case of job preservation either. I expect IB has plenty of other work in the pipeline for their developers.

The point I'm trying to make is that is that IB really need to get onboard with the jfreechart people to provide the enhancements to the library that are definitely needed for this type of application. Of course this may already be happening but reading between the lines I suspect not. My guess is that IB have been hacking at quite an old version of jfreechart to provide necessary features and performance. They are using 0.9.15 which is old. I'm using 0.9.20 which is also significantly out of date but much newer.

I'd also like to point out that jfreechart is licensed under the GPL licence so any change made by IB to the library must be made available in source code form to anybody that wants them. So there is no issue of protecting confidential code. In this context, they should be engaging with the jfreechart project so that this stuff gets into the jfreechart code base. Otherwise they will end up with the problem of retrofitting code changes to new versions of jfreechart for ever and ever. As I said before, everybody wins.

I may be well off base with this post and it may all be happening already. If so, that is excellent.

#18     Jun 17, 2005
  9. def

def Sponsor

As someone on the management side of the equation, I'd like to point out that the same people you are insulting have developed a system that is often effortlessly handling over 400,000 trades per day around the world. Maybe our programmers haven't created the most aesthetically pleasing code in the world but they sure have done a great job with what is most important.

#19     Jun 17, 2005
  10. As I said, the unwarranted criticism reeks of coming from someone that does not program, never has, and never will.

I've been with IB since the OLD non java version. I have never felt that the programming was shoddy, and while I have had had issues like everyone else, the feature to bug ratio is quite high.

#20     Jun 17, 2005