IB TWS at vpsland

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SideShowBob, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Retief

Retief

Any update about vpsland? I was considering signing up there, but if IB's TWS won't run on their virtual servers that's a deal breaker.

#11     Jan 3, 2008
  2. cstfx

cstfx

How about another view of VPS Land?

I checked out the company after SideShowbob mentioning them. Hey, 768 meg memory for the price of starter VPS (with guaranteed 128 meg, but burstable) memory from 1and1 - 29.00. Signed up with them Yesterday morning and had brief access to server. System felt sluggish compared with 1and1, so I tried to reboot VPS land server - maybe something stuck in memory? Well, since then, I have been unable to log back in either thru virtuozzo or remote desktop connection. Submitted a ticket, but it is now almost 36 hours since the problem started and I still can't access my server.

Can you imagine how frustrating that would be if you couldn't access your trading program set up on "more reliable" server, which is what these dedicated and vps's are supposed to be?

#12     Jan 3, 2008
  3. If they can get port 4000 open for TWS I'll be happy. Some guy in support has been telling me for days that it's open, but a simple port query makes it clear it's not open.

For $30 a month I'm getting 1 GB of RAM and a share of an 8 CPU machine, so I'm willing to deal with some crappy customer service, but it's getting almost comical now......

I'll keep you informed how it goes.....

#13     Jan 4, 2008
  4. cstfx

cstfx

Update:

I have had this vps service for a little less than a week now and I have to say that I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the service. First, I had my 2 day outage (it took them that long to restart the vps), then to get ports opened for specific software features is difficult to get done. Plus I found that even with all that memory allocated for each particular vps, the system is extreme slow and unresponsive. I can't imagine running an ATS at this service reliably and efficiently. Plus ping times tend to be higher too than the other service, 1and1.

Yeah, it would be nice to get 768 meg of memory for your system as opposed to 1and1's 128 for the same price, but I'd rather pay for xtra configuration at the latter than deal with poor service at the former.

#14     Jan 7, 2008
  5. I will be closing my account tonight. As you found, their support is terrible. I don't expect a superfast response, but I found their responses were pretty quick, just stupid. The first ticket ended with the moron telling me to reconfigure my app (after I had already explained in the ticket that TWS does not require configuration to connect to IB, and I had detailed how nothing can use port 4000, not even telnet).

I opened another ticket and that ended the same way, after I had them recreate my VPS from scratch.

Can anyone recommend a different VPS provider, preferably one with tech support people who do not make Forrest Gump look like a genius?

SSB

#15     Jan 7, 2008
  6. cstfx

cstfx

I use 1and1 and GoDaddy.

I started with 1and1 VPS but upgraded that to dedicated server and got Godaddy VPS as a backup. 1and1 and Godaddy are about the same, 1and1 has more global exposure.

I know we are talking costs here, but for your trading, the xtra cost of a dedicated machine can easily be offset vs a VPS as they are not down as often.

At least that's how I do it.

#16     Jan 7, 2008
  7. I canceled my VPS at vpsland today. They tried to say they'd fix my problem, then after reviewing the tickets they decided to cancel my account. I am in shock of their total incompetence and stupidity. Opening a port should not be brain surgery, either it's open or it's not, there's no in between.

It became apparent I know more about networking than their network troubleshooters, and I know next to nothing about networking. DUH!

Avoid those clowns at all costs.

#17     Jan 8, 2008
  8. cmaxb

cmaxb

I wonder if MaximumASP is any better. A little pricier.

#18     Mar 25, 2008
  9. Surfeur

Surfeur

#19     Jun 30, 2008
  10. jjk2

jjk2

well if anyone needs reliable VPS + tws set up contact me. i can do it for reasonable rates.

personally , stay away from vpsland or anyone who offers extremely cheap vps....they are overselling.

#20     Jun 30, 2008