IB TWS: A tragedy in the making?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Oct 6, 2009.

Which version of TWS have you found stable?

1. TWS 893

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. TWS 894

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. TWS 895

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. TWS 896

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. TWS 897

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. TWS 898

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. I think they should have a version with only three buttons.

Buy
    Sell
    Pray

#11     Oct 6, 2009
  2. Complaining on here will not accomplish anything because IB doesn't care. They have shown this for years, they don't give a damn if you don't like the new version, what matters is how they can get ahead as a technology company to pump up the stock price, but the stock has a been a dog of the dogs, the market must know something eh

I guess you 'll have to get on the phone all at once and voice your complaints.

#12     Oct 6, 2009
  3. kostia00

kostia00 Interactive Brokers

Below are the statistics on the TWS versions used by our customers. For the record, we are initiating the upgrade not because we like to upgrade, but because it makes it possible to make the servers more efficient, which should result in better response/fill times for everyone.

Versions that willl be desupported in 3 weeks:
    884 0.02%
    885 0.88%
    886 1.11%
    887 1.61%
    888 1.18%
    889 1.48%
    890 0.92%
    891 0.96%
    892 3.98%

Versions that will be supported:
    893 5.90%
    894 4.21%
    895 4.09%
    896 4.68%
    897 26.04%
    898 42.31%
    899 0.64%

#13     Oct 6, 2009
  4. rwk

rwk

I upgraded my trading computer to Build 989.4, the latest standalone version for Windows. I do most of my trading with my own apps via the API. The installation ran normally, and the TWS looked and acted properly. When my bots placed orders just before the close, the TWS popped up a message box and failed to send in my orders. This is a catastrophic error that could cost me a lot of money. Be advised that Build 989.4 will likely break any apps that use the API.

[rwk]

#14     Oct 6, 2009
  5. cstfx

cstfx

Is this message from 2012 a.d.?

:D

#15     Oct 6, 2009
  6. I feel for you, I would be freaking out if I relied on an automated program through IB.

#16     Oct 6, 2009
  7. maxpi

maxpi

Use the well known third party apps.. they must have access to beta versions of the software and be working with the coders at IB to keep up with all the breakage... sometimes they find things even only after upgrades are out there though, via customer feedback but it's better than going it alone..

#17     Oct 6, 2009
  8. maxpi

maxpi

Maybe there is an award of some kind for really stupid software... I'm logging in to IB here after hours... I screw up the password, it flashes a warning message on top of where I'm trying to enter the password and it causes me to screw it up a couple more times.. now, I'm trying to correct the password but it keeps flashing a warning regarding a 60 second wait because I screwed up the password three times... in front of the window where I'm entering the password.. so I try to move the window.. and the error message moves with it.. finally, I just hit the kill switch on the computer, it's that disgusting..

That really is a disaster in the making for somebody that gets disconnected and is logging in when they have a position that is going very badly against them..

Here's a hint to IB's competition... just beat their commissions, make your software work more like a Macintosh, really user friendly, really tested before every release... have intelligent people on the phones... keep the security bar really high, and we will collectively help you to shove them off the edge of the world...

#18     Oct 6, 2009
  9. Bob111

Bob111

you may have to check "bypass order precautions on API orders" checkbox.
    IB well known for screwing with customer TWS settings.

#19     Oct 6, 2009
  10. LOL cstfx, yes, hell does seem to have an icy layer over some of the puddles full of broken non-ib traders, but I also raised a fuss about an earlier mandatory upgrade. I've also gone fully automatic after 5+ years of discretionary trading so something weird is in the water.

Kostia, thanks for the stats and the information about why. More responsiveness is good. Now, if we could have the mythical grail-like TWSLite to bring responsiveness and greater reliability to our PCs as well?

Most importantly, having admitted that my pc is now doing all my operational trading can we bring some strong action to bear on rwk's problem with the super-new version 989.4?

Please :)

rwk, would you be kind enough to post more here? Kostia, should he pm you with details?

#20     Oct 6, 2009