[IB] Two questions by a beginner.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by jk90029, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Dear-

Below is a photo of my IB screen, copied Saturday.

1) You can see the bottom line with -145, which implies that I owe $145 to IB, for full cash purchase of the equities.
    Probably it happened by acquiring AXP too much on Friday.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/overextended-american-express-201742007.html

I guess that I am supposed to pay cash for full-cash settlement on D+3 (maybe Wednesday this week?)
    What happened if I forget to pay $145 in Wedensday?
    Will it be automatically changed to PURCHASE WITH LOAN?

2) I could successfully download the content of the screen to csv format in local PC, by clicking right mouse button and Import/Export full content.
    Where (which menu in IB) can I find previous date and price (share) for previous purchase(acquiring) for the six items?
    Can I download the two results (csv format) more easily, by using of IB API (possibly with R/Python)? If so, please direct me the link or help page.

Thanks in advance.

-Jay

• 123.png
      123.png
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. With recent AXP $55 per share and lack of $145, is it true that my 6 shares of my 300 AXP are going to be loaned with $25 each (say, half cash and half loan???)? Roughly 6 times $25 makes $150.

So the rest of 294 shares (=300-6) shall be cash purchase?

3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

To me, it just looks like you are borrowing $145. You still have excess liquidity, which means to can borrow more if you choose.

4. Of course, I can borrow more so that maybe up to 100K or more, with cash of 50K. (50%????)

I heard that back in 1920's before Great Depression we need cash of 10K to buy 100K. (10%)
    For the 1920's, please see (I do NOT want to be wiped out) from 8-min at

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. From 10-min in the above clip, a showshine with 6K cash bought as much as 60K (10%)

For the 10%, the ratio was decided (for bubble) by FRB as usual.