IB TSW price alerts

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by sporky, Nov 20, 2008.

1. sporky

sporky

just tried using this feature today with CHF. I set it to alert me when price was <= .8239 to trade a possible downside breakout.

I doubled checked all the settings and made sure the sound played.

it's not complicated but, sigh...it didn't alert me and I missed the trade.

anyone use this successfully?

2. Ha! same thing happened to me today! It was the first time I've tried the IB alarm. In my case, I think it happened because I set the alarm from the portfolio page and i didn't have the "Show zero value position" clicked so the stock line (and thus the alarm) disapeared after a set period of time.

3. jkerviel

jkerviel

I use it all the time and it works very well. If you set it for currencies though you have to set it for either bid or ask alarms - not last trade price.

4. sporky

sporky

ah ha! will do that.

thx!

5. sporky

sporky

I had it set to alert me on ZBH9 @ 134'19 for a possible breakout. It didn't and I missed it. I used bid/ask instead of last trade.

bid/ask works fine on CHF. So is that only for currencies?

I can't figure out how to make this work consistently.

:confused:

6. jkerviel

jkerviel

I don't set alarms for these very often, but I noticed that if you don't put in 3 digits after the decimal(apostrophe or whatever it is) , the program will put in it's own strange value - usually different from what you want. I think it works OK for bid, ask and last trade - just try 3 digits and after it's set , call it up again and make sure it hasn't changed your input.

7. sporky

sporky

thx again!