IB trashes account - what would TOS do?

Discussion in 'Options' started by lejmorro, Oct 20, 2008.

1. It's not.

It just someone trying to answer your question when he us unqualified to do so.

Mark

#31     Oct 21, 2008
  2. That's what you get one a computer is set up to manage and watch margin levels. I wouldn't be surprised had a human seen the account he would of performed a more beneficial action.

#32     Oct 21, 2008
  3. A reverse calendar has no such 'well defined' risk.

If IV doubles and doubles again, how much would you lose?

If you use 'portfolio margin' the following does not apply to you. But, if you use Reg T margin, then a reverse calendar is considered to be 'naked short' the longer-term option. The margin requirement is rather high for naked short options - especially index options where the price of the underlying asset is a big number.

Switching from IB is a big decision and I'm hoping to avoid it. How about you?

Mark

#33     Oct 21, 2008
  4. Any time a customer has margin issues, then I think it is hardly any right to question how the broker liquidates. They make it clear they are aggressive.

IB is ultra conservative. That is why I like them.

#34     Oct 21, 2008
  5. Sure. Anyone would have done better. But they have too many accounts and too few people. They give you anywhere from zero to ten minutes to handle a margin problem.

No humanity, no empathy.

At least the computer can inefficiently and quickly blow out positions - and that's all IB cares about.

Mark

#35     Oct 21, 2008
  6. Mark, it's true if you write reverse calendar spread the loss from IV gap is unlimited. But the IV did not gap yesterday, it actually crashed, also i only opened the position because IV was already at 60+. The other thing is when IV gaps, the underlying usually makes a large movement as well which offsets some of the losses from vega.

I modelled the position before opening the trade, basically if the underlying makes large movements to the upside then your front month becomes ditm and the position has a long gamma and if it makes a large movement to the downside then your front month becomes otm and position has short gamma. The biggest enemy to me is theta if the position does not move and iv remains constant.

I am sure you know all of this, but my point is i dont understand why my margin(excess liquidity) would change so much in 1 day when the position was moving in my favor. I am convinced there was some margin requirement change to the es that made this happen, it does not make any sense to me.

Also IB definitly does not treat reverse calendar spread as a naked short, the reg t margin requirement to hold the 1 combo is roughly $1500 which is way less than holding a short naked put/call

#36     Oct 21, 2008
  7. then find a broker with more love.

#37     Oct 21, 2008
  8. Sure. No arguement with that.

But they don't have to set up the algorithm to randomly select one option and close (at the market) and then another and another until margin is met.

There are much more efficient ways to correct margin immediately.

I have no argument with the 'let's do it immediately' scenario - although I would prefer a two minute delay until the account is updated to see if margin call is still required.

But there is no need to buy/sell at the market when the markets are as wide as they are now. I know they cannor 'work' the order, but they can bid 75% of the bid/ask differential for 5 seconds before paying the offer. They could 'try' to treat customer fairly. After all, if they hurt the customer, it's a customer they lose.

And a little portfolio analysis would show which is the most efficient position to close. After the assignment, it was obvious to anyone - even a computer - where the margin violation originated - and that should have been the only position closed.

Yes, the poster should have paid closer attention, but there is no need to PUNISH a customer.

Mark

#38     Oct 21, 2008
  9. I'm trying to convince IB that they should become that broker.

Mark

#39     Oct 21, 2008
  10. convince them by taking your money and business out of there.

#40     Oct 21, 2008