IB trading platform is frozen again this morning

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by BPtrader, Sep 1, 2009.

1. gkishot

gkishot

IB allows u to revert to earlier versions of their product..

It's so nice of them. Thank you IB.

as they do improve performance.

What RELEASE NOTES are you referring to?

#21     Sep 2, 2009
  2. J.P.

J.P.

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. Apparently the A/D algo stops when your Internet connection is down or you close TWS. I had assumed it was operating like the other TWS orders; i.e., once the orders are placed or a Conditional order is set, your connection can go down or you can close TWS and they will continue. But for inexplicable reasons IB's A/D algo does not appear to be operating from the IB server even though it is part of TWS, and that's very disappointing. If anyone has any additional insight into this it would be appreciated.

#22     Sep 2, 2009
  3. You can get backfill on both Ensign and Sierra. So the comparison is between them and IB, not between them and RealTick. Youaren't using RealTick.

That said, I've been using Ensign now for several years, and am very satisfied. I chart both stocks and futures.

OldTrader

#23     Sep 2, 2009
  4. Not really, If only I can still use 2005 version, which is much faster than today's. Yep, they want you to upgrade computers for sure.

#24     Sep 3, 2009

5. You probably don't believe that "they want you to upgrade computers for sure." Its just creep. Everything moves along within the limits of your "reasonably priced computer" and sooner or later the old clunker isn't good for much.

Same with IB. And you can use the old version until they finally have to change something at both TWS and server to deliver something that people "need." And then we get moved along.

#25     Sep 3, 2009
  6. Pete - IB

Pete - IB Interactive Brokers

You are right, A/D orders are unique in that they are managed by TWS and are deactivated when TWS closes, but we are currently working on moving the functionality to the back-end like all other algos.

#26     Sep 3, 2009

7. Thanks for this very informative post !

+1

How good is Lightspeed for daytrading and what account minimums, daytrading margins ?

#27     Sep 3, 2009
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

Thanks OldTrader.
    It has been years now since I used Ensign or Sierra and I am sure their charting software has improved several fold. I will sure consider going back to one of them but last night I worked some more with QuoteTracker and IB backfill settings and I am very pleased with the results. I am now getting far better futures charts than I was getting with TWS charting. Closing the TWS charts and running the same symbols in QuoteTracker reduced the percentage of CPU use to 1/5 th. Java works great for the TWS order entry and trading platform but is a CPU hog for the charting.

Catoosa

#28     Sep 3, 2009
  9. I was going to comment that QT futures backfill with IB works fine and always has. You seem to have figured that out.

I believe its at 1 minute granularity but thats good enough 99% of the time.

#29     Sep 3, 2009
  10. New user of TWS in the last two weeks only trading index ETFS

1) May I ask what is "backfill" in relation to some add on working with TWS?

2) What do I do or add on to this TWS so that I can compete in the battle of trading when using this TWS? >>I go through the misery of bringing up an order form from the tabs above and then must type a symbol and then tell it that its a stock and not an option on SPY that I want to trade and then when I hit transmit must click another UNREMOVABLE window that is unhappy because I'm not using any data. Then if the order is executed its tough to get another order blank ready to get the stop loss in place. IT IS NICE HOW easily one can keep changing the stop loss price without going through all the above. Maybe I should be getting both order blanks ready before ever transmitting the buy order?
    3) Man the price of execution is cheap enough c/w etrade and terranova to make it worth the misery though

#30     Sep 3, 2009