IB trading platform is frozen again this morning

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by BPtrader, Sep 1, 2009.

1. moarla

moarla

be more concrete: names - examples of "tecnical persp. - examples of cost perpect

#11     Sep 1, 2009
  2. novel20

novel20

Yes, I use the trader workstation for everything. The charts are usually okay, but today it is quite sluggish sometimes.

#12     Sep 1, 2009
  3. IB's futures commissions are too high. Here is some cost perspective.

IB's unbundled commissions start at $4.70 RT and drop at specified volume breaks.

futuresbroker.com charges $3.80 RT with a choice of 4 free platforms (NinjaTrader, Strategy Runner, QST, or CQG Trader).

Transact Futures charges $3.76 RT with a minimum of 274 RTs a month.

Lightspeed Trading charges $3.30 RT with no volume minimum and $65.00 a month futures data feed charge.

If you do volume then search for the threads about Advantage Futures for very low rates after 2,000 sides.

If you will be doing low futures volume or will have inactive months, then IB is a better choice than brokers with specified volume/fee minimums.

#13     Sep 1, 2009
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

This TWS charting problem has brought brought my computer to a crawl. I opened TWS on one of my other computers and TWS charts was keeping the CPU at 100% about 75% of the time. For me, this problem only occurs if I have ES in one of my tick(trade) line charts with update every second and keep chart up to date boxes checked. If I minimize the ES chart the problem goes away until I restore the chart. I have three charts set up with the same parameters and there is no problem unless I load ES Sept 09 Globex futures contract in one of them. This problem makes both of these computers unusable for performing any task. I sure hope IB can fix this problem. My opinion is IB should provide charting in a stand alone non Java based program.

#14     Sep 1, 2009
  5. Why do you and others continue to experience problems with IB charts? I know you must have repeatedly read that no one bothers to use these charts. For $50 per month you can use Ensign with IB data. Excellent charts, no lags, etc etc. Sierra Charting is inexpensive (I've forgotten the price). Quotetracker for a while was free, or next to free. Ninja trader was free. Why not look into some other possibilities instead of "hoping" IB was going to do something?

OldTrader

#15     Sep 2, 2009
  6. Catoosa

Catoosa

OldTrader,
    Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have used Ensign and Sierra charts and I really did not find them up to the RealTick charts I used for many years. I tried Quotetracker and liked it better than the RealTick and quit using RealTick even though RealTick was free for me. QuoteTracker is free with my TDA account. I use Quotetracker for stocks; However, I do not think Quotetracker futures charts with IB data are adequate. Apparently it is the lack of immediate back-fill data for the futures tick charts that is lacking with Quotetracker when a new futures symbol is loaded. It seems that adequate IB tick back-fill is available for futures within TWS charts but not for futures charts using Quotetracker For futures charts I like TWS except the Java seems to use way too much of the processor resources. Ninja Trader may be a good solution for me but I have not tried it. I have also been considering ATrader but there again I would be depending of IB data and back-fill for futures.

#16     Sep 2, 2009
  7. nothing wrong with the programmers?
    You gotta be kidding !
    IB doesn't need any additional programmer for TWS, what it needs is zero programmer because programmers have proved to do nothing but mess up with your trading and generate a net cost to everybody including IB. IB only needs to use its programmers to fine tune a 2006-2007 version make it rock solid and then fire all the idiots in that department.

#17     Sep 2, 2009
  8. zdreg

zdreg

IB allows u to revert to earlier versions of their product.. I don't agree with your implication that improvement to IB's trading program are a waste of time. for me it is a win win situation as they do improve performance.

#18     Sep 2, 2009
  9. I would bet that for most users, improvements have brought very little. Trading hasn't changed since 2005 or 2001 .
    You still do the same things whether it's placing multiple orders, spreads, entering stops etc. No need to overcomplicate.
    TWS is simply too complicated to use now, (go watch their seminar, even the seminar hosts sometimes get confused)
    while still lacking some very very basic features such as for example , a portfolio page that sorts and SAVE position order by type (stocks , futures, options, optionspread etc.) an FX P&L window separate from your currency holdings, a real charting platform that's easy to use and save. I could go on and on . Development is downright stupid, they have no respect for customers. Every release puts your dollar at risk, they are a hazard to your account and really your health.

I am saying we need the SEC to impose rules on these electronic brokers that they have some kind of fiduciary duty to provide a stable platform to their customers and not chase technical improvements for the benefit of the shareholders and owners.

Because these are the people who really benefit from those improvements , al lthey want is build the most technologically advanced platform so the company's assets are more valuable and they can be bought out and get filthy rich.
    The interests of the customers and the developers/company executives are not exactly aligned as they should.
    The SEC needs to tackle this issue and soon.

#19     Sep 2, 2009
  10. J.P.

J.P.

I concur (but I'm, at times, equally annoyed at some of IB's programming issues). I just started using IB's Accumulate/Distribute algo. It can accomplish a lot more than it appears to at first glance and you can run multiple instances on the same and/or multiple symbols with a variety of conditions. So it was complex enough to replace my automatic trading system. That relieves me of most connectivity and outside program issues as it runs on the server side. For me, that was a big deal.

#20     Sep 2, 2009