IB: Trade record-keeping software.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dufferdon, Sep 19, 2001.

1. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

I think Tradelog does e mini futures from IB statements. If you have a different broker, I don't know.

In any event, you don't have to report every futures trade to the IRS like you do with stocks. The IRS form for futures profit or loss just has space for your results for the year. You can attach copies of your monthly summary statements to the back of return for backup.

#21     Oct 16, 2001
  2. Anyone have any experience with it (Tradelog)...with respect to...RJT, or other brokerages (other that IB) ?

About to switch to RJT, so I'm particularly interested in them. TIA :cool:

skyfisherman

#22     Oct 16, 2001
  3. ddefina

ddefina

http://www.armencomp.com/tradelog/brokers.shtml

#23     Oct 17, 2001
  4. I have been using an export to Quicken for tracking stock trades. IB has just added that capability for stocks.
    I have also written a short macro in Excel to parse the data from an IB report into Quicken format (QIF file).

I have recently started trading the ES, unfortunately Quicken does not handle futures transactions. I have been exporting the IB daily reports, fixed width delimited, into an excel spreadsheet. Has anyone here been successful with matching buy/sell trades in excel? Anyone want to share their experiences?

#24     Oct 17, 2001
  5. I match them by cutting and pasting. When I started the thread I hoped that someone may have written a visual basic routine to do the matching and be willing to share it. So far no takers. I am pretty sure it could be done using Microsoft Access, or another good database program, but unfortunately I am not up to the task.

#25     Oct 20, 2001
  6. I see that IB data can now be exported to Quicken. Does Quicken match the trades and generate a profit/Loss statement?

#26     Nov 7, 2001
  7. isidoren

isidoren

I have written an Excel macro that does basic trade matching (stocks only).
    You can download the spreadsheet from http://www.ingenit.com/iblog/

#27     Dec 27, 2001
  8. dufferdon,

Not quite. Quicken will give you a list of trades that you can match against. E.g. you bought ABC at several prices and sold ABC at several price. As soon as you start accepting the SELL orders Quicken will list all the buys and you get to match the exact shares you want the sell order to correspond to. No typing required - just select with the mouse. Works well for me.

One more thing: Quicken 2002 has "short sales" built in. Quicken 2001 does not (you get a dialog box every time you sell before you buy). Unfortunately, at present IB exports to the older Quicken 2001 without a specific short sales, so you will have to fix those entries yourself. IB supposedly is aware of the issue, per a previous post on Elite.

#28     Dec 27, 2001
  9. thomas

thomas

#29     Dec 28, 2001
  10. ddefina

ddefina

You save the monthly report as a ".txt" file, naming it something that corresponds to the month/year and then Import it to Tradelog with the Import button.

#30     Dec 28, 2001