IB: Trade record-keeping software.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dufferdon, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Owing to the pressure of honing my golf game during the summer months (well, one has to keep one's priorities straight:cool: ) I have got woefully behind in my trade record-keeping. Does anyone have a method, or better still, for example, a spreadsheet macro, for matching and recording trades from the monthly trading summary sheet?

Any other recommendations for record-keeping from IB's daily e-mails that is less tedious than doing it by hand?

2. NKNY

NKNY

I use tradelog,

very simple importing.

can import from monthly or daily statements.

Nick

3. agent99

agent99

4. lescor

lescor

I use excel. The records can be imported at a .txt file with the columns intact. You can then sort the records by date or symbol.

5. Catoosa

Catoosa

I use "Captools Global Investor" (captools.com) which handles about any type transactions in all major currencies. I import the IB Execution files into Captools. Captools combines the Tax Lots from all of my brokerage accounts and prints out my IRS schedule "D". The software cost me $400 and has been worth the cost.

Catoosa

6. goodQ

goodQ

Would somone go thru the steps on how to do this please? I am new with IB and all I get is an email in my box. How do you export that? Thanks in advance.:)

7. I am not sure which method you are referring to. I expect the commercial software some people have discussed has full instructions. Thanks to those who suggested these packages.

I currently use Excel for my record keeping. Getting the data in there is easy, manipulating it to match buys and sells is very tedious. I was hoping someone had come up with a macro to do that part.

I work from the monthly email of trade data. Highlight the section that lists the trades. Right click and "copy". Open notepad and paste the data. Save the resulting document as a text file, say Sept01.txt.

Open Excel and select "Open" from the file menu. This will take you to a browse box. Select the directory where you saved the file and highlight the file. Choose "text files" as the file type and click open. This will open a Text Import Wizard that lets you define the type of data in each column and which columns to import. I do not import the column that designates a partial fill, for example. When you have stepped through the various steps, "Finish" will result in your data being imported as a spreadsheet.

You can then match up buys and sells by cutting and pasting. When done, use "Save As..." to save the file with a spreadsheet . You have to specify this format at that time. You can then print your trades or do any spreadsheet analysis that you like on the data.

8. goodQ

goodQ

I did not think that the email was a comma limited file. The folks using commercial software like tradelog mention importing. I did not want to buy the software before I findout more and their (tradelog) site don't even show an example. :)

9. tymjr

tymjr

goodQ: “I did not think that the email was a comma limited file.”

True, although the email can easily be imported into Excel and formatted. In addition, IB TWS can export a copy of your daily executions in a delimited format.

“their (tradelog) site don't even show an example.”

TradeLog offers an importing Users Guide:
    http://www.armencomp.com/tradelog/import.shtml

“Thanks Gus.”

Dufferdon is Don. He is only quoting Gustave LeBon. My apologies if you were joking. :)

10. The email data is space delimited. The Excel import wizard allows you to select this option.

#10     Sep 22, 2001