IB Tracing Ip Address

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by cgjung, Dec 2, 2002.

1. cgjung

cgjung

Great site and they would of been a perfect company providing a solution but their located in Montreal, Canada.

They use an encryption throught their Secure Proxy Server no guarantee they will secure your information.

Thanks again though.....

#31     Dec 3, 2002
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Wow do you live in a dream world. And you missed the point. Your computer may be "secure", but if you stick things on the internet....they are there forever and for anyone to read. And it is very simple to link the real person to the message. Ask any 12 year old.

#32     Dec 3, 2002
  3. Seven

Seven

I'm not a lawyer or accountant but I'm having a hard time realizing the ramifications of your statements.

Could it be that there's a way to differentiate between the profitability of a corp. & the management? What I'm thinking is have everything in a co.'s name and only the distributions that would go to your pocket come back to Canada. Naturally those are taxable but the co.'s profits aren't.

Otherwise, unless I'm missing something, Rev. Can would be travelling to every branch of every multinational making sure they got their cut. This doesn't happen. taxes are paid at place or residency.

If co. resides offshore it is of no concern to taxman - they should have nothing to do with it. regardless of where the trigger is being pulled. trigger man is only a part of an int'l co. - he/she is not the co. & only has to pay tax on what comes back to him. Right?

#33     Dec 3, 2002
  4. Darren - there's a potential ownership issue involved. Don't remember the details off the top of my head, but in the US there's a little blip in the tax rules about beneficially owning a certain % of an offshore company and having to declare that ownership and share of profits (whether paid out to you or not) - tough to catch, but failure to do so sets you up for tax fraud. It's intended to let the IRS prosecute US residents who set up fake offshore shells to hide money.

#34     Dec 3, 2002
  5. Babak

Babak

Hey no problem. But I really don't understand what you're talking about when you say "no guarantee". No one will issue you a blank guarantee of that kind. No one. The liability issues would be simply unfathomable for them.

The reason why I recommended ZK was because I know the company. They had one guy working for them when I toured the place who had cracked the GSM code like it was a Faberge egg.

And he was just one whiz they had on the payroll. But what the hey...its up to you of course.

#36     Dec 3, 2002
  6. Seven

Seven

The way I read GAAR is it's in regards to Cndn. co.'s. An offshore co. appears to be outside the mandate of GAAR.

#37     Dec 3, 2002
  7. But the Canadian resident person seems to fall under it ...

#38     Dec 3, 2002
  8. alanm

alanm

Against my better judgement...

Quote from bobcathy1:
    Wow do you live in a dream world.

Seems real enough to me. Things in my dream world would be substantially better.

And you missed the point. Your computer may be "secure", but if you stick things on the internet....they are there forever and for anyone to read.

What do you mean by "stick things on the internet"? If you mean postings to public places like newsgroups and bulletin boards, you've not said anything any "12-year old" doesn't know. It's common sense to expect that things that are posted to public places are public. Duh.

What does that have to do with the subject of this thread, though?

I read your statement, in the context of this thread, to be a comment on the ability of IT professionals to ensure privacy of encrypted communications over the internet, like those between a customer and a broker-dealer. It sounds like so much of the crap that the mostly-ignorant "news" media spews any time there is any sort of fraud involving computing.

I stand by my assertion that what you are saying is overly general, and hardly applicable to specific issues like this thread.

And it is very simple to link the real person to the message. Ask any 12 year old.

Not at all simple if the person does not intend to be linked to the message. That, you can probably ask many 12-year-olds about.

Maybe I'm just looking for a fight, but I hate FUD.

And you get the last word, if you want it.

#39     Dec 3, 2002
  9. cgjung

cgjung

Depending of the offshore company structure GAAR may or may not apply. But it will surely fall under FAPI and must reported on your tax fillings

No way around it. Be forewarned there is a fine line between being hit with an avoidance slap and avoidance kick. The latter
    will have you wished you would of never been so cavalier of running money without proper counsel.

Residency is major factor in all structures related to tax and securities. Even with offshore you have to contend with multi jurisdictional securities and tax laws. Don't cut corners. I don't like lawyers anymore than the next guy being drained at $300+ dollars an hour but we need them to keep traders
    like myself out of hot water.

I met with my lawyer today at $325hr and as far as the Server issue is concerned if you have a flimsy mind and management overseas you will need to safe guard your self from Revenue Canada deeming a Canadian Sever as a business establishment in Canada. A secure proxy sever oversea will be fine but ultimately you better have a competent offshore portfolio manager willing to attest to the management of the fund is orchestrated outside. Remember advising is okay onshore, your advisory fees will have to be reported on a tax basis and make sure your advisory services are exempt from securities regs.

Thanks Elite trader members for all the valid and not so valid insights. I appreciate all the comments.

Have a nice holiday...I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow.......

#40     Dec 5, 2002