IB threatens to close my account

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by trend2009, Feb 3, 2011.

1. for the last 4 years, I have generated around 750K commissions for IB, which can buy lots of computers.

#11     Feb 4, 2011
  2. LeeD

LeeD

That's the best advice. Why force IB servers to do it when your code can take the load?

This is a large commission but I expect IB passed a large part of it to relevant exchanges/ECN. In any case, there is no harm in asking IB if they could wave the restriction for you.

#12     Feb 4, 2011
  3. Exactly. It's easy enough to monitor the prices for the stocks on your alert list. Just send in limit orders when the price gets "close". It's also much easier to control acccount risk this way and you don't have to send in a bunch of cancelations. At least, it works for me.

Good trading to all. :cool:

#13     Feb 4, 2011
  4. zdreg

zdreg

IB has a worthwhile philosophy to not negotiate with customers.

#14     Feb 4, 2011
  5. I think the commission of more than 750k to IB is almost net gain to IB since I usually do not hit other's order.

#15     Feb 4, 2011
  6. BSAM

BSAM

So, what did you do today?

#16     Feb 4, 2011
  7. It can't hurt to ask for an exception. But the bottom line is that IB is indifferent as to why you are sending and cancelling so many orders. They've made a business decision that they don't want to do business with you under the present circumstances and they're free to drop your account. So either change your program or seek out another broker who can handle your business.

#17     Feb 4, 2011
  8. Go with a prop firm or a CBSX shop, you can get more margin. 10:1 is absurd. I believe the NASDAQ requirement is 300:1, which you fall into.

#18     Feb 4, 2011
  9. Leave IB.

#19     Feb 4, 2011
  10. LeeD

LeeD

Are you aware of any prop that offers conditions not worse than IB in any single category? Including 100% payout and your money is yours... you can take all of it out the day you join the prop.

Not to mention being rated with S&P, Moody's or Fitch

#20     Feb 4, 2011