IB: The warning message pops up every time and makes me untradable

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Benign, Sep 16, 2007.

1. nove

nove

Autoit is very good at recognizing popups (looks at the words in the windows at various levels).

Your issue is 1) rare and 2) debatable so there is almost no chance (think snowball) that IB will make this change. Try autoit if you really don't want IB's perception of price.

Read mk's thread on the account lockup issue and follow the advice there and you will minimize the risk of triggering security locks on your account. But lets get real here - how expensive is this expensive data feed?

#11     Sep 16, 2007
  2. JackR

JackR

Immoral? Absolutely not. Good business - Yes.

I don't think IB's brokerage business is operated to make money on data feeds, they make their money on commissions and margin interest.
    As you may have noted elsewhere here on ET, IB is not known for hand-holding or exemplary customer service. Constantly letting you know that the orders you are entering are not based on quotes provided by IB may be an attempt on IB's part to reduce customer dissatisfaction with "poor execution" . You'll find many threads here at ET extolling IB's non-delayed data during fast-moving markets. You'll also see a lot of complaining about "missing" data. You can have up-to-the- millisecond quotes, or you can have all the quotes, you can't have them both in IB's world. So again, immoral - no, unsatisfactory to a very few customers - yes.

Jack

#12     Sep 16, 2007
  3. Benign

Benign

Exactly the same tone, except it is less rude than the above quote, as the IB staff that I talked to. Subscribing the data is the only way to stop us from bugging you. o_O

It is interesting to hear some people think subscribing third party data to trade is equal to blind trading. If I use that broker, I must use its own datafeed, no matter the price or quality. After all expensive datafeed won't kill you off, it just eats up parts of your profits or adds up your losses, so you must face it and subscribe it. What logic is it?

If it were true, it's time for IB to charge you $100 per datafeed. It is not going to break your deal, does it? By the same logic, your broker should charge dearer commission on your trades because it is not going to break your deal either.

Perhaps we are trading differently so you don't see why it isn't a problem. Anyway, blink trading or not, I use the third party datafeed for more than several years and I am still not broke. So far I am happy with them.

I hope IB dev team doesn't have the same mind like the above.

#13     Sep 16, 2007
  4. nove

nove

1. How much is expensive?

2. See previous reply for the chance that they'll change something like this when they think its a good thing.

3. If you want to help yourself instead of just moaning you might try my previous suggestion.

#14     Sep 16, 2007
  5. LOL. Chuckle. Not sure how one can HEAR tone in a written message.

I merely pointed out you quoted me yet failed to answer my questions.

Perhaps I am trying to understand.
    But again, like most complainers about IB, you dont answer direct questions, you offer vague rhetoric about a problem you experience.

When I got the popup, I paid the miniscule fundage for the specific data I needed.

Sincerity goes a long way....

My 1st message was very sincere, my second message was one of perplexity. This one... STRAIGHT tone....

Later....

Again for all readers. I only want to know which data pkg and how much it costs.

A Simple enough question with a simple STRAIGHTFORWARD answer that he refuses to answer.....

#15     Sep 16, 2007
  6. Benign

Benign

giles117, in case if you misinterpret, the last reply is not for you.

nove, thank you. I will try your suggestion and see how well it works.

Yes I agree that IB almost definitely will ignore my request because it appears most customers are in the US. I hope not though. I hope it shouldn't be hard to make an option to suppress that popup.

There are so many replies at the same time. Give me some time to read one by one and reply.

Nearly time to go but I will reply tonight. See you all.

#16     Sep 16, 2007
  7. Looks like an answer is not going to be forthcoming.

But in case, let me repeat your question:

Which data package are you talking about, and how much does it cost?

OldTrader

#17     Sep 16, 2007
  8. Please accept my apology for my ineptitude.....

I read too fast....

#18     Sep 16, 2007
  9. Most of us have seen 3rd party data packages LAG at one point or another, typically when the market heats up, gets volatile, like after an important announcement. In other words, at that moment you're trading blind.

One way of thinking about this is: It's a cost of doing business. One alternative might be to use IB's data with one of the 3rd party charting packages available. Cancel your existing software package. Since you don't give even a single detail, it's not possible to know whether this is a workable solution.

OldTrader

#19     Sep 16, 2007
  10. I had a quick look at all the data feed costs at IB for non profressional traders.

There are about 25 Level 1 data feeds outside US that are not free. Of these only 3 or so cost significantly more than 10USD a month.

The most expensive Level 1 feed listed was for the Austrailan Stock market which costs about 30USD a month.

#20     Sep 16, 2007