IB Support

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Wonderduck, Dec 21, 2001.

1. alanm

alanm

Me three, as long as they can get TAL (or someone else) to support the customers directly. To add the support responsibility to IB's existing help desk would seem to be stretching an already thin resource even further.

#21     Feb 28, 2002
  2. echo

echo

Exactly as I would want as well. I already have a working TAL/RealTick data feed account. I don't really want to change that, but some sort of IB user rebate would be nice. Probably wishful thinking I suppose. The only up side for TAL would be a few more customers. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a lot of IB customers. So I wonder if a rebate would really increase the base by any significant factor?

#22     Feb 28, 2002
  3. If the quality of support is as important to you as you say then why stay there?

Are you staying there because of the cost?
    If so, you get what you pay for.

If not, look elsewhere but be aware that quality service comes at a cost.

Food for thought.

Good trading :)

#23     Feb 28, 2002
  4. alanm

alanm

Bottom line: cost is a primary concern for me. Everyone else charges more just in their pass-through ECN and exchange fees than IB, not to mention the ones that charge per-ticket fees on top. For me, it's thousands of dollars a month in difference. Maybe some of you guys are knockin 'em dead out there, but that's too big a piece of _my_ monthly win.

IB's customer service has problems, but most days, they don't keep me from trading, and that's what matters. Sure we b*tch about problems that we know can be fixed, especially those where the only problem is communication or attitude. That doesn't mean, for most of us, that we don't get what we pay for - a solid platform on which to trade.

#24     Feb 28, 2002
  5. MORE

MORE

hello ! I seize the oportunity of this thread to try to understand something that is not clear at all for me : the backup broker.

In my mind, à backup broker (after reading all the posts about) is some firm where I could open an account and use it to get out the market in emergency if my main broker (IB) is down ???

But how does it work ? i.e : if I buy 1 Emini contract using TWS, it is possible to sell it with an other broker through an other platform ?

And it is usable with day trading ?

sorry for my bad english, I am french..

And thank you so much in advance for your help.

#25     Mar 1, 2002
  6. No, of course you do not trade the same account
    with your backup broker. It means you must have
    sufficient funds in both accounts, then you can
    offset your position using your backup account.

It is not a good idea if you have not enough funds
    in both accounts to cover margin on both accounts.

Example:

You are Long 1 E-mini S&P Futures Contract (ESH02) with IB
    and do not have access to your IB account any more.

Then you sell the same contract with your backup broker
    and have a Short position in that account.

As soon as you have access to your account(s)
    again you may close your positions in both accounts.

#26     Mar 1, 2002
  7. MORE

MORE

OK ! I understand now. In fact, the target is to equilibrate the possible money loss during the moment where the main platform is down using the opposite order throug the second broker.

That's clear. Thanks to you FX-trader

#27     Mar 1, 2002
  8. Maxito

Maxito

I just opened my IB account and must say that all the contacts and money transfers with c/s and banking have been wonderful! Sure they do not go out of the way to give "warm fuzzies", but the price can not be beat and everyone was willing to help!!! Why should I ask for more.

FX-Trader: Thanks for making clear to us newbies the second broker deal. :D

#28     Mar 1, 2002
  9. stevet

stevet

Every one seems satisfied with IBs exection and there back office efficiency, but all seem concerned about what happens if something goes wrong with the platform, and then you cannot get hold of anyone at IB

I know when i thought of opening an account with them, i gave up after 20 mins of hangin on the line - twice - so this made me feel that their back up was probably crap

But, has anyone actually experienced the platform going down (not globex) and not being able to get hold of IB on the phone to close the postion?

#29     Mar 1, 2002
  10. BeenHere

BeenHere

In a year and a half of constant and heavy use, I have only needed to reach IB twice to exit positions for technical difficulties. I have received prompt service both times and they also waived the phone trade charges since it was their fault.

This would be in contrast to a couple of my other high flying brokers (now relegated to backup status) where I had to contact them a couple times a week.

BH

#30     Mar 1, 2002