IB stop loss triggered AND executed outside of trading range

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by BuyLowSellHigh, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Great Point!

#21     Sep 18, 2009
  2. I have been using stop/market almost exclusively (especially on long position) because I want to protect against *catastrophic* loss. Stop/limit would likely not get filled if market drops real fast on a sudden news (e.g. 911), would it? In hundreds of stops I have had with IB in past few months, only once I didn't get the fill at the stop price. That one time was just one tick worse than the stop.

Not sure what you mean when you say market orders are not "native "to Globlex.

#22     Sep 18, 2009
  3. CME / Globex supports Market with Protection for Futures and NOT options.

Market orders at CME Group are
    implemented using a “Market with
    Protection” approach. Unlike a conventional Market order, where
    customers are at risk of having their
    orders filled at extreme prices, Market
    with Protection orders are filled within a
    predefined range of prices (the protected range). The protected range is typically the
    current best bid or offer, plus or minus
    50 percent of the product’s No Bust Range.
    If the entire order cannot be filled within
    the protected range, the unfilled quantity
    remains on the book as a Limit order at
    the limit of the protected range.

http://www.cmegroup.com/globex/files/GlobexRefGd.pdf

#23     Sep 18, 2009
  4. rwk

rwk

Thanks for that info. It has been a while since I traded on Globex. I see that IB offers "Market with Protection", but I don't see "Stop with Protection".

Stop orders on IB: http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/orders/stop.php?ib_entity=llc

There is a maximum you may specify between the stop price and the limit price. I don't remember what it is, but I seem to recall it is about 5 points. It would be an unusual move that would trigger a stop and not have bids/offers within the limit.

#24     Sep 18, 2009
  5. Woody

Woody

The last time I checked with the CME a few months back, the maximum "spread" between the stop and limit was 12 points. It changes periodically. I remember being able to have a 20 point spread between the stop and limit price. If you enter a spread larger than the maximum, your order will not be accepted.

#25     Sep 18, 2009
  6. 1500? I bet there are 1000 ET'ers that would trade that and a right arm for their worst day.

#26     Sep 19, 2009
  7. novel20

novel20

A $1,500 loss is already your worst day?

#27     Sep 21, 2009
  8. if a $1500 loss was my worst day, I would probably lose about half of my life's experiences. :)

#28     Sep 22, 2009