IB Stop Execution failure - IB Rep??

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by libertine, Jul 3, 2008.

1. I've never had a limit or stop fail either ... the odd problem with my order entry tools but not tws.

But despite that I would not be surprised or particularly upset if I did have 1 or 2 problems a year. Its a lot of orders to have no problems.

On java I'm now using 1.6.0_10b27 on XP and the 64bit version on Windows Server 2008. No problems. What's more when I recently queried something technical with IB (at 2 levels of the organization because it was hard) I got no "change back to 1.5" requests! So that's progress :)

#11     Jul 23, 2008
  2. OK, sorry for not updating for a while, actually I got my latest reply back from IB on the 14th July which was just a few hours after I questioned them further so no complaints there.

Here's what I sent:

"1) Due to this issue, is it true that any stop could at any point fail to be executed without any warning or notice?

2) If so, is there anything IB could do to deal with a re-occurence of this issue differently which would ensure execution of an affected stop in some kind of timely fashion?"

..and here's what I got back :

"It is possible that due to unforeseen technical issues, stops may not trigger.

If the stop in question is submitted as a protective stop to close an existing position, and it failed to execute when it should have, traders are advised to manage the risk of the open position as quickly and efficiently as possible. If the execution to close the position is at a price that is worse than where the stop would have executed, a compensation request can be submitted requesting that the difference in cash be credited to the account.

The company does take the handling of stop orders very seriously and it is important to us that traders feel that they can rely on the stops to trigger at the appropriate time."

...which is fair enough in my opinion. Given IB have explained that it was a technical issue at NITE which caused the problem, and that they can't in reality foresee every technical issue that could potentially occur, the best they can probably do is offer compensation as and when it happens. How easy/successful the compensation process is I can't tell you - I lost a bit of extra cash on these positions over and above what they were going to lose anyway but no worse than I would expect from a particularly bad case of slippage, so I'm going to leave it at that.

I'll also point out that I'm in and out of an average of 50-60 positions a day via the API and have been for ages - and this is the first order execution problem I've had. I'd have to therefore disagree with the proposition that IB's software is inherently "buggy".

#12     Jul 23, 2008
  3. Just another FWIW for anybody wondering how things might work using Vista.

I bought a cheap triple core HP Vista machine from Staples. Kept it bone stock and threw TWS and Quotetracker on it. The thing works flawlessly and is a hellofa lot faster than my 6-7 year old XP machine (duh).

I just use it for trading, so the little Vista "quirks" don't bother me at all. For the price, <$1K w/ wide LCD, well worth it IMHO.

Good trading to all.

#13     Jul 23, 2008
  4. I wish you had escalated this situation to higher authority, to help IB to recognize the weaknesses in its trouble shooting and customer service. Sounds to me like IB dropped the ball on jonkry's case and lost themselves a customer.

#14     Jul 25, 2008