IB: slow order entry today...anybody else?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by roger2, Sep 19, 2001.

1. shneed

shneed

Placed an order to buy 500 shares of GILD using IB BEST, didn't see the order go live, but as soon as put the order in I saw 500 shares trade. Don't think it was me, but maybe it was. The order stayed blue or what ever color (not green), for about 1 min. Next thing I did was cancel the order, which cancelled immidiately. By the way the reason I waited 1 min to cancel the order was because many many times before when the order did not go live for a while, and the prices moved one way or the other, I would most of the time get a late report of the fill. Not this time. I called IB and told them that I thought that even though my order did not go "green", it might have been executed anyway. At this time the stock was down about $.30, didn't want to find out later on if the trade was executed and I would have to take a larger loss. I was told that the order was cancelled, but there was no way to know if it was. Will see in the next 3 days if it was.....

shneed

#61     Sep 25, 2001
  2. def

def Sponsor

fwiw,
    I just placed 4 orders around the open (2 round trips on MSFT) from Hong Kong. I used best for 2, best_ecn, and island.

All orders were executed in 1-5 seconds. I have a 56K dialup and used an account that is on the US server. The first 3 orders were fine. For the 4th order I tried to hog my bandwith by sending a 1.5 meg file via e-mail. This order took 5 seconds.

I also entered another bunch of orders (away from market) for different stocks, most went green within what seemed like 1-2 seconds. The longest delay was about 4-5 seconds when I sent the e-mail.

I didn't do a ping test or anything else sohphiscated during this time (except drop 50 bucks in a few minutes).

Thus if any of you are still experiencing any delays, it definately is not system wide. Fleance, I sent you an internal message which you may not have read. Since you seem to have done a fair amount of testing on your connection to IB w/o finding the problem, I'd like to try to put you in contact w/ someone better suited to track down your problem. If interested, send me an e-mail and I'll pass it along to someone who could contact you in this regard.

def

#62     Sep 26, 2001
  3. shneed

shneed

Many, many stuck trades today. It's 4:20 and one of my orders is still stuck. Spoke with IB, was told that I will know on Monday if the order was executed or not. Amazing....

shneed

#63     Sep 28, 2001
  4. Eldredge

Eldredge

I don't get this. I had some orders go through just fine today, and most weren't too bad. But, some were quite slow and one wouldn't go green for about 30 seconds, and then took a few minutes to go red when I gave up and cancelled it. I placed another order for the same thing and got filled fine while I was waiting for cancelation of the first order! I used best_ecn all day. I like IB, but this can be expensive.

#64     Sep 28, 2001
  5. ddefina

ddefina

Had two separate stops each to sell 200sh of AEIS at 16.74. The bid and ask went through 16.74 and traded below twice and back up again and then plunged the third time not triggering my two stops? I then entered manual limit orders and they went right through, but at .10 less than stops because of the time it took for me to change orders. One stop was to sell my 200 long shares, and the other stop to go short 200 shares. I accidently entered both orders as sells instead of 1 being a sell short, so maybe there's a bug in system if you do this?? trying to sell what I didn't have? Also, AEIS wasn't available to short so maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I'm glad I was watching because I normally don't.

Had to go to my Brown & Co. account to short AEIS. Bummer paying their commissions.

#65     Sep 28, 2001
  6. Eldredge

Eldredge

ddefina,

I have tried to reverse a long position in one trade using a limit order, and TWS wouldn't let me do it. You have to enter one order to get flat, and another to get short. It also won't let you short stocks that IB doesn't have available to borrow.

#66     Sep 28, 2001
  7. mktman

mktman

TWS was really slow and actually froze the quotes for several periods of time today.
    Know this has been a problem with a few.
    Any resolution?

thx.

#67     Oct 1, 2001
  8. fleance

fleance

I have had an ongoing month-long problem with JTWS where the quotes keep freezing for short periods (5-10 seconds) almost every minute.

So far, the only suggestion by IB support is that it is a network problem. However, I have two different ISPs with different routes that have the same problem...

I'm beginning to think that the IB server architecture has a design flaw that quote messaging and order messaging are coming from the same server, so the increasing demand on quotes because of new users. When JTWS quotes freeze, you cannot transmit or cancel open orders either. It is not a very fault tolerant design.

NOTE: If you post a message, please include your location and traceroute info, if possible. (See www.visualroute.com for a graphical traceroute program.) It might help us determine if there really is a network problem or if IB's server / network bandwidth is overloaded.

Fleance
    JTWS Build 721a, also had problem with Build 712
    Sunnyvale, CA (SiliconValley)
    Pacbell -> SprintLink -> TimberHill
    Globix -> UUNET -> TimberHill

#68     Oct 1, 2001
  9. fleance

fleance

Someone from IB's engineering dept looked at my problem where the quotes and order transmission would freeze for 10-15 seconds every minute.

The problem turned out to be with IB's process/server which was connected to my JTWS. They did a configuration change, and then *poof* the problem disappeared. I am no longer seeing any delays in my quotes or order transmision. Thank you IB engineering!

Fleance

#69     Oct 10, 2001
  10. Eldredge

Eldredge

Did everyone on that server have problems, or was it just you? Can you change servers? I ask because I have been having a few minor problems lately, and I'm wondering if changing servers could help. Glad you got your problem fixed.

#70     Oct 11, 2001