IB: slow order entry today...anybody else?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by roger2, Sep 19, 2001.

1. fleance

fleance

Also, it is helpful to post the version number of JTWS you are using. Click Help->About Trader Workstation...
    Fleance

JTWS Build 721a, also had problem with Build 712
    Sunnyvale, CA (SiliconValley)
    Pacbell -> SprintLink -> TimberHill
    Globix -> UUNET -> TimberHill

#51     Sep 25, 2001
  2. roger2

roger2

fleance,

i think your experience with 2 ISP's and tntneo's experience with 2 computers on 1 ISP, one OK, other with problems...would indicate that the problem is TWS related

FWIW: hoosier.net > quest.net > ALTER.net > timberhill2GW.ALTER.NET > gw3.ibllc.com

13 hops

I have had no freezing. Today, at worst, maybe 15% of my orders took 3-8 sec to go green, the rest OK

there may be something the the hypothesis that TWS builds are becoming worse. i am still using build 696 and have apparently not had as many problems as others.

I totally agree with the posters who want to keep TWS simple and solid...but i think many of us emphasised this point in Babak's 'IB Improvements' thread...did they listen? (I don't know 'cause I am still using the old TWS)

#52     Sep 25, 2001
  3. Babak

Babak

I'm slowly becoming rather frustrated with IB. The traders in this community suggested a goup of excellent ideas for ways to improve IB and also some begged IB to not ruin a good thing.

Although I'm not a programmer, to me it is intuitively clear that as you add extra features to a program it becomes more complicated and the probablility of errors increases exponentially.

Any ideas how we can send this message to IB? It is crystal clear that their vision of the TWS is vastly different from those that actually use it.

#53     Sep 25, 2001
  4. I upgraded this morning before I issued any trades. Here are my experience from today

• ISLD went live immediately
    • NYSE took 1-2 seconds to get accepted, maybe longer. Seemed slower than usual
    • I had TWS 721 hang on me once. No quote updates ... just a "frozen" display. Had to close TWS and restart. ONly happened once.

I'm using TWS 721a
    Connected though PacBell DSL

I'll try pingplotter tomorrow morning.

#54     Sep 25, 2001
  5. Does anyone know which IP address TWS communicates with?

#55     Sep 25, 2001
  6. NKNY

NKNY

>step back and resist the temptation to add bells and whistles >that we don't need (graphs, news, etc.)

I agree with Babak, I don't need charts or news either
    I have other services for them.

Nick

#56     Sep 25, 2001
  7. fleance

fleance

If you have JTWS installed in C:\jts, open the file C:\jts\log.txt

Here is a snippet:
    JTS-Main: Started on 8/25 at 13:52
    JTS-Main: Build 721a, 2001/09/25 90:55
    JTS-Main: applet = false
    JTS-Main: host = gw1.ibllc.com
    JTS-Main: remotePort = 4000
    JTS-Login: Creating socket
    JTS-Login: Local port=1273
    JTS-Login: Peer=4000
    JTS-Listener: Closing socket
    JTS-Listener: Redirecting to gw3.ibllc.com on port 4000
    JTS-Listener: Connecting
    JTS-Login: Creating socket
    JTS-Login: Local port=1274
    JTS-Login: Peer=4000

From this, I believe the server is gw3.ibllc.com (208.245.107.5)

#57     Sep 25, 2001
  8. roger2

roger2

yes, 208.245.107.5 port 4000

I have a utility called 'Active Ports' which verifies this info
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just logged into my new (as yet unused) IB Stocks & Options account and it is connected to a different IP: 208.245.107.3 port 4000

#58     Sep 25, 2001
  9. def

def Sponsor

strange how some accounts have no problem at all and others do. I don't think it has to do with the additional releases. I'll talk to the head of programming today.

#59     Sep 25, 2001
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Thanks def.

BSAM

#60     Sep 25, 2001