IB: slow order entry today...anybody else?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by roger2, Sep 19, 2001.

1. shneed

shneed

NKNY,

Same here, I am probably going back to my old broker, they are working fine.

shneed

#41     Sep 25, 2001
  2. My executions have been good/fair today:
    * ISLD went active immediately
    * NYSE probably took 1 to 2 seconds, which is a bit slower than usual.

#42     Sep 25, 2001
  3. NKNY

NKNY

Also noticed that my quotes from qcharts are about 30 sec faster then IB.

Nick

#43     Sep 25, 2001
  4. NKNY

NKNY

Vikana, have you upgraded to the newest version.

I'm wondering if this is due to the upgraded version...?

Nick

#44     Sep 25, 2001
  5. IB has been rock solid for me today. In fact, been pretty decent all this week.
    I am still using build 680a, FWIW

#45     Sep 25, 2001
  6. NKNY

NKNY

Vikana, have you upgraded to the newest version.

I'm wondering if this is due to the upgraded version...?

Nick

#46     Sep 25, 2001
  7. Babak

Babak

using newest IB build 721a

quotes are the slowest I have ever seen (compared to RT) from 3 to 7 seconds behind the tape

I hate to say this but with every new version of TWS I have seen a slow and steady erosion of functionality and reliability.

The message to IB is this:

1]provide a simple, rock solid and reliable execution system at low cost.

2]fix errors with the TWS that prevent [1] for example, stop orders that actually work as advertised

3]step back and resist the temptation to add bells and whistles that we don't need (graphs, news, etc.)

#47     Sep 25, 2001
  8. Atlantic

Atlantic

i agree with babak. quotes seem to get slower - they even lag behind livecharts-quotes ...

#48     Sep 25, 2001
  9. >step back and resist the temptation to add bells and whistles >that we don't need (graphs, news, etc.)

I couldn't agree more! I fear that as they add more goodies, their charges will most likely follow, upward, that is.

For me, the best combo is IB for orders and realtick for data.

Jim

#49     Sep 25, 2001
  10. fleance

fleance

I have been having my quotes/orders freeze for the past 3-4 weeks, after having almost zero problems since Feb 2001.
    My internet route to IB is Pacbell -> sprintlink -> TimberHill (11 hops). I posted addl info on this thread a couple pages back.

The past couple days I tried a differnt ISP which goes through Globix -> UUNET -> TimberHill. I am having the exact same problem with my quotes&orders freezing up. Very annoying.

I've had to fallback to CyberX and Datek.. All my applications (Ravenquote, CyberX, Datek order entry app) have been running fine with little or no problems on both ISP connections, while the IB JTWS quote freezes/stuck orders are happening 2-3 times every single minute, lasting 5-10 seconds each time.

For other people possting that they do or do not have a problem, could you please post your general location and your traceroute to IB if possible? (Goto www.visualroute.com for a free 30 day try of a nice traceroute program) Also, is your problem quote/order freezes i.e. does JTWS appear to freeze for short periods of time where quotes stop updating and any orders you transmit get stuck in BLUE state, or are you just seeing delayed quotes, or orders taking a little longer to go GREEN?

Fleance
    Sunnyvale, CA (SiliconValley)
    Pacbell -> SprintLink -> TimberHill
    Globix -> UUNET -> TimberHill

#50     Sep 25, 2001