IB Slow Execution Recently?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by macal425, May 20, 2003.

1. Whamo

Whamo

Add me to the list of clients w/ slow executions lately, both in ES and ESTX50. Thought it was a result of getting up at 2:45am Eastern to trade the Eurex:D

#31     May 21, 2003
  2. samaritan

samaritan Interactive Brokers

Let's be very clear about this. There is a difference between slow order entry and slow execution speed. I am talking specifically about slow order entry (i.e. the time it take your order to go "green"). Slow execution can mean that the order goes green immediately but you don't get a fill. This is another issue.

BTW, of the people that are now experiencing slow order entry, do you trade from the USA or elsewhere?

#32     May 21, 2003
  3. Whamo

Whamo

Then slow order entry speed it is! Southeastern USA.

#33     May 21, 2003
  4. sammybea

sammybea

Samaritan, you work at IB? If we have any problems, should we contact you from now on? I would appreciate some confirmation from def that you represent IB.

#34     May 21, 2003
  5. samaritan

samaritan Interactive Brokers

Def and others at IB (including myself) monitor this board often in order to pick up on problems in our system. Your first contact should be with the help desk. Always try to give VERY specific examples of the problem. This should include your IB username or account, the date and time of the order, the instrument, and any other order particulars like order type, price, size, etc. This makes my job a lot easier when the problem ultimately ends up on my desk.

#35     May 21, 2003

6. It's not just slow to go live, there is an issue of delayed quotes being fed through to further complicate things.

just received from customer services a moment ago...

-------------------------------------------------

I am referring to the phone conversation we had
    today regarding the delayed quotes.
    You are right, there seems to be an issue.
    The problem has been escalated to our programmers,
    they are currently look into it. The issue should be solved
    by tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------

So basically it seems that IB have a number of problems right now that are impacting further on eachother. That means that the slow execution you speak of is not necessarily the case because we are (unfortunately) placing our trades based upon quotes that happen a couple (few maybe) seconds ago and as a consequence not getting filled or bad fills...

Yes - there is a clear difference as you say, but also where it is caused by delays on IB server then it IS very much an IB problem.

Natalie

#36     May 21, 2003
  7. Seven

Seven

I'll be contacting IB today to describe my observations.

Execution on ace - excellent
    Refreshing on ace - slow

Order entry - not sure as I wasn't keeping a real accurate record but the delay's seem to be there.

I noticed it last Fri- 05/16/03 and a little bit today.

#37     May 21, 2003
  8. def

def Sponsor

I'll confirm that this speed issue is being looked into at the highest levels within the firm. As mentioned we take this issue very seriously and aim to resolve it ASAP.

As an aside, I checked with the Hong Kong help desk and they honestly haven't heard of any complaints in regards to speed. This doesn't mean there isn't a problem but it probably does infer that it isn't widespread. If you have an issue, mails to the help desk with time, market(s), account #, along with a specific explanation will help isolate the problem as it could be anything from a poor ISP route to a faulty switch on a server. Posting here with specifics at this point isn't going to help much as we have been alerted to your concerns. Ofcourse, feel free to PM me if the problem persists or post here if you're more comfortable.

#38     May 21, 2003
  9. shneed

shneed

Just looked over my trades for today and Friday, not one executed by TMBR. Has IB stopped routing to them, is it better to switch routing directly to NYSE? Def, any word?

Thanks,
    shneed

#39     Jun 16, 2003
  10. def

def Sponsor

Could be coincidence, a change on our prop side or something else. In the end, SMART will route to the best price and if TMBR isn't there, most of the time for listed stocks, it will get routed directly to NYSE anyway. Thus you should stick with SMART.

#40     Jun 16, 2003