IB Showing massive P&L Loss -- Bad Math!

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HappyTrader, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Due to the stock splits in TSLA & APPL, IB does not seem to handle the math well. It's seeing '2000' go to '400' (rounding here), and thinks you just lost 1600$/share.

It fails to notice the quantity has gone up.

Anyone know why it's doing this bad math? I only bring this up, as I recall a poor soul who did not read his RobinHood? statement correctly and thought he lost everything and then died :(

2. BMK

BMK

There was a guy who misunderstood his RobinHood account balance, and he committed suicide. You can read about it here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...eeing-a-730000-negative-balance/#53b0b0141638

It was not a stock split. I think it was an assignment, and the screen he was looking at showed a large negative cash balance, probably because the broker had not yet exercised the other leg of the spread.

The figures in your account at IB will probably be adjusted by the close of business on Monday.

BMK

VPhantom and nwoptions like this.
  3. Yup. Fortunately I knew what was happening. I'm just not that impressed the math was wrong in this situation (which is due to a stock split), and should be easier to handle than half a combo being assigned.

Hopefully no one worries. Just thought I'd post it in case someone was wondering what happened if they held a sizeable amount of those two :)

4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

The split shares of both tsla and appl do not become effective, and therefore can not be priced until the start of Monday's session.

5. traider

traider

does this cause error in margin used leading to liquidation?

mr_sandman likes this.
  6. he became quiet because all was good well in advance of the open.