IB Shortable Canadian Stocks

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Wetton, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Wetton

Wetton

I just went over the shortable list for Canadian stocks available through IB. The list has expanded considerably from about 6 weeks ago when I last printed off the list.

Why has the list expanded so considerably (not that I'm complaining, it was the one thing I didn't like about IB was their small short list)?

Another question I have is why are some Canadian stocks 'unavailable' for trading. For example, if I want to buy FCE.UN, I cannot through IB. I have been told that the stock is unavailable for trading but no explanation is given. Why is that?
    Oddly, I just checked and the stock is on the available short list yet I can't buy it.

2. It could have something to do with lack of liquidity - not enough available to short. I live in Canada, and I have the same issue with many TSX listings.

3. def

def Sponsor

I can't talk about the stocks not available for trading as I'm not familiar with Canada. I think we don't offer unit trusts for cost and other issues. For better info on this, go to the ib web site discussion board and ask the question under the Canadian section.

Shorts: we've entered into some additional agreements which has enabled us to expand the short list (I believe US as well)

4. Wetton

Wetton

This morning (Monday), I'm getting the message that there are no stocks available for shorting (Cdn). Even the most liquid, largest stocks. Any ideas why this is happening?

5. Please , don`t exist ONLY US market !!!!

"Us Market" is only for TRADING COMPUTER SYSTEM