IB server outages

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rsi80, Jun 30, 2017.

1. rsi80

rsi80

Hi

It seems that server outages, especially after important economic data releases or sudden market movements, have become fairly common at IB.

I use three different ISPs and all three connections experience the "TWS purple outage" concurrently during at least the last six months.

Do any forum members using IB TWS/data have had similar experiences? Any solutions or workarounds? Since the outage occurs at the IB end, having one's own leased line won't help, will it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

2. I use IBGateway, which I ran 24 hours a day, every business day, along with the automated trading system. When a IBGateway gets disconnected from the IB servers, my system logs these events. Reviewing the logs, I see that they occur very infrequently (perhaps once a month), and last no longer than 20 seconds or so.

The quality of your network connection is very important. I run my system in Amazon AWS, and the above observations are based on that. When I ran the same system from my home PC, these disconnection events occurred much more frequently (multiple times a day).

zdreg likes this.
  3. Ryan81

Ryan81

Yeah, I don't have any ongoing issues with connectivity to IB's servers.

4. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

Exact time stamp and duration of the outages please or it did not happen. And why are you coming out with this 6 months later? Please post the time stamps, there are too many competitors out there that love to talk shite about IB.

5. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

Did you check whether those disconnects did not occur because of a network outage within AWS? I also run the gateway and I have not seen a single outage in the past 2.5 months.

6. From my logs, I see that disconnections typically occur outside of regular trading hours. Here are a few recent entries (all times are in Eastern Standard):

06/17/17,19:36:22.577,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1100, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been lost.]
    06/17/17,19:39:13.349,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1102, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been restored - data maintained.]

06/19/17,05:24:36.507,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1100, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been lost.]
    06/19/17,05:24:58.544,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1102, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been restored - data maintained.]

06/19/17,20:20:03.728,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1100, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been lost.]
    06/19/17,20:20:17.826,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1102, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been restored - data maintained.]

06/29/17,01:42:31.477,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1100, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been lost.]
    06/29/17,01:47:22.129,Message: [Id: -1, Code: 1102, Msg: Connectivity between IB and Trader Workstation has been restored - data maintained.]

7. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

I did not question those connectivity issues, I simply try to help to pinpoint your issue by asking whether you can also log your overall network connectivity of your AWS instance. There are tons of free apps that log network connectivity. At least with that you can exclude one potential point of failure. Also note, despite infrequency of disconnects between IB and the Gateway/Workstation, which server your connect to can make a difference from one user to another. But first of all you should profile your overall network stability (though it would shock me if Amazon had such major and frequent outages as the disconnects you have shown). Still work a check imho...

8. Rare or non existent. Try a new isp

9. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

He said he uses an aws compute instance.

10. The OP did not say that he used AWS.

#10     Jul 1, 2017