IB server down

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by tjymaui, Mar 20, 2007.

1. This has been COMMON in 2007.

One account will connect...
    Another account on same network will not connect.

Not having backup, redundant auto-failover servers...
    To completely eliminate connection problems that breakdown by account...
    Puts IB at least 10 years behind responsible companies like Thomson Financial.

At the core...
    Is an attitude at IB...
    That all of it's Customers are sitting around in their pyjamas and scratching their nuts...
    And couldn't possibly be doing anything important like running a million dollar trading business.

#11     Mar 21, 2007
  2. ktm

ktm

I had the same issue yesterday. I have two accounts. One was fine and the other started running pink, so I tried restarting it. The connection was fine, but the second acct would not reopen at all. After waiting on chat for 15 mins, I called and got tech support. The guy said several others had the same issue and they had not figured out the specific problem. He had me go into webtrader and try to log in, I could not - "server error". Then he had me delete all my temp internet files and restart IE, then restart web trader... that worked. Then my standalone TWS worked fine. I have no idea why or how this worked or why it had an issue in the first place. The issue with quotes freezing up has been more prominent in the last few weeks.

The bigger IB gets in terms of number of customers, the more complicated this stuff gets. There are people running all kinds of software simultaneously and the potential for conflicts is huge and getting bigger. Mercedes had the same problem and their reliability ratings went down significantly. They kept adding more and more gadgets (many that people didn't appreciate or never used) and as these gadgets broke, it affected other elements of the vehicle - thus decreasing reliability. I'm not saying that's the case here, but IB has a tough job and I think they've done pretty well given their phenomonal growth.

#12     Mar 21, 2007
  3. As a software engineer...
    I very, very seriously doubt that "delete all my temp internet files"...
    Would in any way resolve TWS connection problems for specific accounts.

IB Tech Support just made you jump through some hoops...
    Until the problem was fixed/resolved ** at their end. **

Basic redundant, failover connectivity to servers...
    Has absolutely nothing to do with growth or complexity.

The core engine should be ROCK SOLID...
    Regardless of how many useless features they hang onto the platform.

If 1% of their traders want to Beta Test new features...
    They should opt in... while the default should be opting out.

Welcome to IB.
    You are now an involuntary Beta Tester for the TWS platform.

#13     Mar 21, 2007
  4. ktm,

I agree with HoundDogOne. I don't think that deleting temp files had anything to do with solving your problem. You are talking about an intermittent problem. Now you see it, now you don't. If the CS rep had told you to sacrifice a goat to Zeus and a sheep to Jupiter, after which you were then once again able to log in to TWS, would you then conclude that the Gods had intervened to help your trading?

Your discussion of quality issues seems very closely related to suggestion #2185 in the IB new features poll. Have you taken a look at that suggestion? Have you voted for it?

#14     Mar 21, 2007
  5. I looked at #2185.

Unfortunately, it's a request that IB change is culture.

Since ideology comes before business at IB...
    At least until the IPO... and shareholder activists put IB management's feet to the fire.

#15     Mar 21, 2007
  6. Bob111

Bob111

short disconnections all day long. 14:15-disconnection with HMDS server too on one account. on same computer charts on another account works just fine.
    also since 14:15-quotes moving like tape on bad tape recorder-slow for few secs, then x10 than normal..

#16     Mar 21, 2007
  7. But HoundDogOne,

IB has already agreed to make the requested change. The problem is that they are not doing what they said they would do. I really believe that if IB customers are persistent in expressing their priorities, it is very possible that IB will listen and will make the changes we need. I think IB has many times demonstrated a willingness to listen. We, the customers, must also do our part. We need to vote for suggestion # 2185.

#17     Mar 21, 2007
  8. ktm

ktm

Hounddog/Jim,

I don't know what deleting temp files had to do with anything either - maybe nothing. As you mention, maybe in the 10 minutes we were messing around, either they fixed the problem or the problem fixed itself. Running the standalone TWS seems as far away from temp internet files as you can be.

#18     Mar 22, 2007
  9. Yes... IB does listen...
    And often makes welcome changes...
    And in spite of occasional frustrating issues...
    IB is still the only game in town for what I do.

And they do FABULOUS things...
    Like lowering my commissions twice in 18 months...
    And paying interest on my short position...
    And the TWS platform is really very good, etc.

But 2185 addresses...
    The way they have chosen to manage their software upgrade cycle...
    Decisions made on the ** highest level **...
    And at odds with all industry practice.

I suspect...
    That they counted the pennies...
    And decided to off-load the COST OF BETA TESTING onto the Customer...
    Which transfers a substantial cost... and saves IB millions annually.

#19     Mar 22, 2007
  10. nassau

nassau

well it 10:12 and I have only lost IB data 3 times.
    market data yellow and it takes longer for transmit button to turn green.
    am thankful still able to transmit

w

#20     Mar 22, 2007